How Do You Sift Your Powdered Sugar?

Baking By Wildgirl Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 7:22am by Foxicakes

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 4

I tried using my flour sifter - and it gummed it up. It was perfectly dry - not sure if it was the humidity or what, but I had to wash it to get it back to "normal" (what a pain!!)
I had used a strainer before, but that takes forever. How do you do it?

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:31am
post #2 of 4

I use one of those really fine plastic strainers. And you're right - it's a total PITA, but the only way to get it fine enough for fondant, royal icing or buttercream.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:53am
post #3 of 4

I wipe down my counter (just to leave some moisture on it). Roll off some parchment or waxed paper and lay it down (moisture helps it lay flat). Then use a metal strainer with a handle to sift it with, punching down the "hill" by laying the strainer on it when it gets too high. Then when I have it all sifted I just pick up the paper by the corners and take it to the KA and "shake" it into the mixer while it is running on low.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:22am
post #4 of 4

Fine metal sieve. And it IS a PITA. But I found that if I hold the handle very close to the strainer part and tap it against the palm of my left hand, it goes a little faster. That and I use a silicone spatula to kind of help push it through the tiny holes.
When I am just trying to "sift" all of my dry ingredients together, I put them all into a large bowl and take a metal whisk and whisk it really well. It does a lovely job of getting all of the ingredients aerated and incorporated together. I will have to try it with only powdered sugar and see how it does...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%