Vincent Marquetry

Decorating By shanter Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 10:51pm by BlakesCakes

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 4

I've read about or seen mentioned Kerry Vincent's "claim to cake decorating fame" called Vincent Marquetry. Can someone tell me where there is a picture (preferably large enough to actually see it) showing this technique? I Googled, but didn't find anything.
TIA

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 4

Well, I don't find a good photo of the technique--I think the first one that comes up on google images when you search "vincent marquetry" (kerry next to a cake with violet gerbera daisies) may be done in the technique.

Basically, you are putting things into a fondant finish, rather than onto it (applique), so that the decoration now sits flush with the surface of the fondant.

If you cover the cake in fondant, use a cutter to take out a shape (flower, square, oval, etc.) and then replace that shape with the same shape in a new color, or stenciled, or painted, or with more component pieces. It can be large pieces or itty bitty pieces. It just has to wind up all being flush to the background you started on.

I did a "marquetry" floor on this cake by inserting the white diamonds. I did it with modeling chocolate and I found that medium to work beautifully.

Rae

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much. What a cute cake!
Best wishes from Seattle

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 4

Well, I don't find a good photo of the technique--I think the first one that comes up on google images when you search "vincent marquetry" (kerry next to a cake with violet gerbera daisies) may be done in the technique.

Basically, you are putting things into a fondant finish, rather than onto it (applique), so that the decoration now sits flush with the surface of the fondant.

If you cover the cake in fondant, use a cutter to take out a shape (flower, square, oval, etc.) and then replace that shape with the same shape in a new color, or stenciled, or painted, or with more component pieces. It can be large pieces or itty bitty pieces. It just has to wind up all being flush to the background you started on.

I did a "marquetry" floor on this cake by inserting the white diamonds. I did it with modeling chocolate and I found that medium to work beautifully.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%