Crumb Coat Question

Decorating By Marci620 Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 10:42pm by Marci620

Marci620 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 4

so I just started decorating cakes and usually use white or chic buttercream under fondant. I have a friend that doesn't like fondant. So I am doing just buttercream, different colors each tier. Do you crumb coat in the color you will be frosting, or can you just use white and then frost in your color.

Sorry if this seems simple and logical, but sometimes I am simple and unlogical! Tia

3 replies
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 4

I've always crumb coated in the color I am icing the cake in. Usually if I am coloring a big batch of icing, I do it while I am making it, so at that point I wouldn't have white made up.

I don't see what it would hurt to crumb coat it in white, since it'll be completely covered in colored icing in the end.

carmijok Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 4

I always layer my frosting on (refrigerating between layers) and I use regular uncolored buttercream until the last couple of coats...then I put the colored frosting on. It saves on the amount of colored BC you have to make, plus you don't turn people's tongues and lips colors...especially if it's red or blue or black. Also, you don't have that bitter taste that some highly colored BC's can get.

Marci620 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the responses!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%