Difference Between Using Dark Rum And Regular??

Baking By forheavenscake Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 5:18am by scp1127

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 4

I am attempting to make rum cake pops. I have never made any kind of rum cake ball so I'm not real familiar with the types of alcohol.

I bought a bottle of regular Bacardi Rum then got home and noticed the recipe calls for Dark Rum. Do i need to go back and exchange it or will it still taste good with the regular rum??

Thanks!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 4

The difference between Bacardi light and gold rum is that the gold rum has some carmel color added.

When a recipe calls for dark rum, you should use an aged rum, where the color comes from the wooden casks it's aged in. It doesn't have to be super-expensive. The aging process makes the rum mellower and smoother...matters more if you're drinking it than cooking with it, really.

I think the regular rum will be fine for cake balls. I make rum balls and use whatever rum is on sale at Costco and everyone gobbles them up.

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you for answering! I just dumped some in. . .they're chilling now, so we'll see in a little bit! I'm not a huge rum cake fan, so my hubby will have to be the judge!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:18am
post #4 of 4

Myers Dark Rum adds an incredible taste to baked goods. Used sparingly, it makes a great "extract". A little heavier and it brings a refined, deep, flavor to cakes with pineapple, coconut, or any tropical flavor. I agree that it is so much more mellow. But I completely disagree that any rum, or any spirit for that matter, will have the same flavor when a cheap one is used. I use a multitude of spirits and liqueurs and in every test, top shelf brands are superior. I would not consider any less. If you don't want to spend a lot, use the minis. Even The Grand Marnier is only $5.00.. the same as grocery store vanilla extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%