Those That Use The Cricut Cake...

Decorating By dst10spr97 Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 7:20pm by MBCOMER

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 3

I have a new BFF. I purchased one months ago and had never used it. I finally used it, with some tips that I had read on CC and I loved it. I can't believe I had taken that long to open the box. I used gumpaste for my decorations. I tried using the Icing Sheets (Cricut) and that wasn't a very good experience. For those that use it. I'm curious. What types of cakes do you use it for the most? What are your favorite cartridges? Where do you purchase your cartridges? I got some off Ebay for a good price. I have the Martha Stewart Cricut with the Elegant, All Occassions, and Seasonal Cartridges. I'm looking forward to using it more.

2 replies
mbyrne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbyrne Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 3

I bought the cricut cake not to long ago and just used it for the first time this weekend. I LOVE IT! Now, I did have a few issues, but I am blaming that on being new to the decorating thing and cricut all together.

I love Martha's cartridges. I just have the ones you have. I can't wait to use them on elegant cakes. I get mine from JoAnn's when they are on sale for $28.99. I also got one on craigslist.

I used the Wilton sugar sheets and had I not left it out so long, I think it would have worked really well. I messed up the whole sheet because I did not know how to use the machine (sizing, space etc) but when it cut, it was really smooth. They are also pretty pricey so I just got one for the purpose of figuring out how to use it.

I tried rolling out some gum paste/fondant mix to use that for my next try. It worked....ok. I had some pulling so it was not as smooth, but it still looked pretty good.

I am excited to keep playing with it.

MBCOMER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBCOMER Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 3

I also have the cricut cake, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. If you ever have trouble with it, look online and you can find tons of videos / explanations on how to trouble shoot. You can use any of the cricut cartridges with your cricut cake. I have lots of cartridges because I already had the original cricut for scrapbooking. I would recommend getting the Lettering cartridge. It is for scrapbooking but I use it on my cake one all the time! You can find cartridges at Joanns or Micheals , they go on sale alot and you can also get them at Walmart now! All cartridges are interchangeable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%