Been Trying Scratch Recipes All Week...

Baking By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 26 Mar 2012 , 4:45am by FleurDeCake

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:52am
post #91 of 123

I wasn't going to mention my results from trying pudding in the cake, but... I just came across something in this book that explains why this happened to me and it's nothing to do with the pudding.

For one cake, I made the pudding before adding it to the batter - as you know, it didn't really turn out.. too dense.

For another cake, I took some advice here and added just the pudding as a powder, that didn't turn out either as there were strange 'holes' throughout my cake after.

At the time, I assumed, that I the method of pre-making the pudding first was better, but now I realize that the holes probably had NOTHING to do with the pudding!

According to this book, you should mix the flour and the leveners (baking powder, etc.) with the mixer for 30 seconds at medium speed, if you don't, the levener will not be uniformly distributed in the flour and the cake can have numerous unsightly large holes (which is what happened to me!)

Okay, thanks for listening, I'll shut up now, lol! icon_biggrin.gif

LindaF144a Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:05am
post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

I wasn't going to mention my results from trying pudding in the cake, but... I just came across something in this book that explains why this happened to me and it's nothing to do with the pudding.

For one cake, I made the pudding before adding it to the batter - as you know, it didn't really turn out.. too dense.

For another cake, I took some advice here and added just the pudding as a powder, that didn't turn out either as there were strange 'holes' throughout my cake after.

At the time, I assumed, that I the method of pre-making the pudding first was better, but now I realize that the holes probably had NOTHING to do with the pudding!

According to this book, you should mix the flour and the leveners (baking powder, etc.) with the mixer for 30 seconds at medium speed, if you don't, the levener will not be uniformly distributed in the flour and the cake can have numerous unsightly large holes (which is what happened to me!)

Okay, thanks for listening, I'll shut up now, lol! icon_biggrin.gif




Absolutely this is true. I whisk this all together and then sift twice to make sure it is all incorporated. This is one of those things that I wish they would be more consistent in adding to baking books.

If you want to read more about that subject, check out The Cake Bible. She also goes into detail on this.

The only thing I disagree with Shirley's book is using self-rising flour and butter flavored Crisco. Okay 2 things.

imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:09pm
post #93 of 123

The_Sugar_Fairy, I read Bakewise long ago. I got the digital version that I keep on my laptop at all times.

That thorough mixing of the the powders is the one thing I do consistently. I put the mixer bowl on my scale with the sifter on top and start adding the powders by weight then take the bowl to the mixer and turn it on. I do it for longer than 30 seconds, but since there's no liquid in there, it doesn't matter that I go a little longer.

And come back with the results of your testing! It's fun!

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:32pm
post #94 of 123

So I tried the 'Magnificent Moist Golden Cake' from the CakeWise book today, and I'm disappointed to say it was just okay for me. Sylvia Weinstock's cake (with the sour cream) is by far the best scratch cake I've made so far! I knew I'd go back to that one, lol! Sylvia's cake is so moist!
I am going to buy the CakeWise book though because there is so much wonderful information in there and lots more recipes to try, from cakes to pies to cookies.
So... the winner is Sylvia Weinstock's 'Classic Yellow Cake'! I've been using only half the egg whites though so that my cake is denser (for covering in fondant). I do wish the flavour was a little less eggy, but as I said before, maybe I just need to wait for it to settle (instead of trying it almost right out of the oven). So I totally understand now why lots of you are saying this is an amazing cake! Thanks for everyone's help!

imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:48pm
post #95 of 123

The_Sugar_Fairy, when you buy the book, make sure to read the whole chapter before you try anything.

Shirley sometimes includes the original recipe that she is going to fix. If someone opens the book and just uses a recipe without reading carefully, the wrong one could be chosen. Sometimes she tells you the recipe is there so that you can see what changes she's made, but not to bake it.

I still have to make SW classic yellow cake. Thanks for all the input. Happy baking!

LindaF144a Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:30am
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

So I tried the 'Magnificent Moist Golden Cake' from the CakeWise book today, and I'm disappointed to say it was just okay for me. Sylvia Weinstock's cake (with the sour cream) is by far the best scratch cake I've made so far! I knew I'd go back to that one, lol! Sylvia's cake is so moist!
I am going to buy the CakeWise book though because there is so much wonderful information in there and lots more recipes to try, from cakes to pies to cookies.
So... the winner is Sylvia Weinstock's 'Classic Yellow Cake'! I've been using only half the egg whites though so that my cake is denser (for covering in fondant). I do wish the flavour was a little less eggy, but as I said before, maybe I just need to wait for it to settle (instead of trying it almost right out of the oven). So I totally understand now why lots of you are saying this is an amazing cake! Thanks for everyone's help!




I have to agree with your assessment of the recipe. It was an okay cake for all the work involved. I was not thrilled enough to make it a second time.

The classic yellow cake is one of those cakes where the egg whites are whipped in separately. I'm not crazy about those kind of recipes as they just don't do anything for me like a good old butter cake does.

steplite Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:50am
post #97 of 123

Has anyone tried cupcakes with Slyvia's recipe???

scp1127 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:53am
post #98 of 123

Yes. The cupcakes shrink just like the cake does, but it pulls the paper liner in and makes them small. They taste fine, but are not consistent with sizes of other recipes if you are selling them.

steplite Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:14am
post #99 of 123

So, What is a good cupcake recipe?(Vanilla) I'm not really impressed with the Magnolia recipe.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:19pm
post #101 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Yes. The cupcakes shrink just like the cake does, but it pulls the paper liner in and makes them small. They taste fine, but are not consistent with sizes of other recipes if you are selling them.




I have tried the cupcakes with her recipe, and I agree with scp1127, they do shrink.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:23pm
post #102 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

The_Sugar_Fairy, when you buy the book, make sure to read the whole chapter before you try anything.

Shirley sometimes includes the original recipe that she is going to fix. If someone opens the book and just uses a recipe without reading carefully, the wrong one could be chosen. Sometimes she tells you the recipe is there so that you can see what changes she's made, but not to bake it.

I still have to make SW classic yellow cake. Thanks for all the input. Happy baking!




Yes, I noticed that! Luckily, I chose the right recipe the first time, lol! Not only does she include the original recipe that she's going to fix, but she also shows the recipe three or more times with each method (creaming, disolving, etc.), so you have to find out which method she recommends first and then use that recipe. So I agree, anyone buying the book, just be careful about that!

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm
post #103 of 123

My favorite blogger just posted a new vanilla cake recipe. She's very thorough and her stuff usually works. I won't have time to try it yet, but here it is if anyone wants to.

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/07/fluffy-vanilla-cake-with-whipped-vanilla-bean-frosting/

Since people are asking about cupcakes, she's saying in the comments that she'll try it next week.

FromScratchSF Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:30pm
post #104 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

My favorite blogger just posted a new vanilla cake recipe. She's very thorough and her stuff usually works. I won't have time to try it yet, but here it is if anyone wants to.

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/07/fluffy-vanilla-cake-with-whipped-vanilla-bean-frosting/

Since people are asking about cupcakes, she's saying in the comments that she'll try it next week.




She is probably going to have problems using the recipe as written - she is using RLV's White Velvet Cake with only a slight modification to the eggs and flour, and making cupcakes is something people have had problems with since the Cake Bible's release. We discovered that you have to lower the baking powder and add baking soda in order to make RLB's butter cakes to work for cupcakes, which RLB has since revised in Heavenly Cakes's Baby Cakes section.

I also just wrote a white cake blog post but was going to post it next week not knowing about hers - hope nobody thinks I'm following on her very awesome coat tails - but I have a different recipe... I broke down and tested the scratch WASC from here. Made some adjustments and I have to say - it's pretty good. icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:37pm
post #105 of 123

I think someone already made cupcakes (she's got followers who try stuff right away) in the comments and said they were great. But then again, I won't know the truth till I try them!

Is that the white velvet recipe or the Baking Bites? I thought she said Baking Bites, but I haven't compared those two (or three, now). I hardly had time to read it today. Working hard. lol.

FromScratchSF, I'll be waiting for your post! You're thorough, too, and you write a lot...which I like!

snowboarder Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:01pm
post #106 of 123

I haven't made Syl's recipe as a cake, but I did make cupcakes with it and I had none of the shrinkage issues that people have been talking about.

FromScratchSF Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:48pm
post #107 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I think someone already made cupcakes (she's got followers who try stuff right away) in the comments and said they were great. But then again, I won't know the truth till I try them!

Is that the white velvet recipe or the Baking Bites? I thought she said Baking Bites, but I haven't compared those two (or three, now). I hardly had time to read it today. Working hard. lol.

FromScratchSF, I'll be waiting for your post! You're thorough, too, and you write a lot...which I like!




To sum up: "Now, I did make Roses White Velvet Butter Cake from that book, and it was incredible, but I then discovered a version on Baking Bites that had more egg whites and less flour, so I was curious to give that a try. In the end, I loved it the best! I adapted it only slightly by increasing the vanilla and omitting the almond extract the recipe called for."

BUT - I'll be waiting for her post to see how it went for her!

FromScratchSF Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:57pm
post #108 of 123

I STAND CORRECTED. icon_redface.gif I posted without doing my homework.

I just compared her posted recipe to the Cake Bible. It is NOT even close in any measurement to RLB white/yellow cake. She must have meant that the recipe was a version of the Cake Bible because it uses reverse creaming. Not the case, but she's awesome so I'll let it slide icon_biggrin.gif

So, I am very curious how hers turns out if anyone here wants to make it!

Heck, I may even try it... I have some down time next week.

Jen

scp1127 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:10am
post #109 of 123

Snowboarder, they look fine except when compared side-by-side with other cupcakes. I used that recipe for awhile before I found another and changed it around.

Kellbella Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:34pm
post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I actually adore the flavor of Weinstock's cake. It's my favorite cake, hands down. And it won the white cake scratch off done on this site. So maybe your customers will like it even if you don't. Sometimes a flavor just hits us wrong and we can't get past it.

In any event, since you sense an eggy taste I can tell you how to get rid of that. Use better or more vanilla. Vanilla balances and cuts the egg taste. It's one of the main purposes of vanilla in baking. That's why you see it in just about every baking recipe there is that includes eggs, even if vanilla is not the flavor of the end product. Think about it...even almond flavored baked goods use BOTH almond extract and vanilla extract...never just almond. Chocolate cakes use vanilla. Why? it has that separate purpose of cutting the eggy taste of things.




Wow...I didn't know that about the vanilla cutting out the egg flavor....I never thought of that! I made Sylvia's white cake this week for the first time and LOVED it...great flavor and texture.

Eva2 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:57pm
post #111 of 123

Thank you will read this when I have more time.

gatorcake Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 7:12pm
post #112 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I STAND CORRECTED. icon_redface.gif I posted without doing my homework.

I just compared her posted recipe to the Cake Bible. It is NOT even close in any measurement to RLB white/yellow cake. She must have meant that the recipe was a version of the Cake Bible because it uses reverse creaming. Not the case, but she's awesome so I'll let it slide icon_biggrin.gif

So, I am very curious how hers turns out if anyone here wants to make it!

Heck, I may even try it... I have some down time next week.

Jen




Yeah I just looked at the recipe posted at Sweetapolita via Baking Bites and was pretty sure I recognized the recipe. Did a quick check and I was right, it is the Classic White Layer Cake recipe from Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen. The only difference, as Sweetapolita notes is subbing more vanilla for the almond extract--otherwise it is the same recipe.

Have made it before and it is nice, but does have a pronounced almond flavor. If that is not your cup of tea it is easy to sub out. Torn right now between it and Rose's white velvet cake from Heavenly Cakes.

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 7:19pm
post #113 of 123

Good catch gatorcake! I've heard excellent reviews of the Cooks Illustrated White Cake. So I guess now I know it works. Rossie (Sweetapolita) does say that she made Rose's white velvet cake and that it was delicious, and then went to the Baking Bites. She's actually pretty obsessed with vanilla cakes. There's a few in that blog...that I haven't tried yet (or maybe I have...maybe they just have travelled all over the internet and when people sub a tiny bit of this or that, they call it theirs).

madicakes Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:15pm
post #114 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder

I haven't made Syl's recipe as a cake, but I did make cupcakes with it and I had none of the shrinkage issues that people have been talking about.




Snowboarder.....do you care to share if you did anything differently with the recipe when making cupcakes? I love the flavor but can't get a cupcake out of it that doesn't shrink.

FromScratchSF Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 9:01pm
post #115 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I STAND CORRECTED. icon_redface.gif I posted without doing my homework.

I just compared her posted recipe to the Cake Bible. It is NOT even close in any measurement to RLB white/yellow cake. She must have meant that the recipe was a version of the Cake Bible because it uses reverse creaming. Not the case, but she's awesome so I'll let it slide icon_biggrin.gif

So, I am very curious how hers turns out if anyone here wants to make it!

Heck, I may even try it... I have some down time next week.

Jen



Yeah I just looked at the recipe posted at Sweetapolita via Baking Bites and was pretty sure I recognized the recipe. Did a quick check and I was right, it is the Classic White Layer Cake recipe from Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen. The only difference, as Sweetapolita notes is subbing more vanilla for the almond extract--otherwise it is the same recipe.

Have made it before and it is nice, but does have a pronounced almond flavor. If that is not your cup of tea it is easy to sub out. Torn right now between it and Rose's white velvet cake from Heavenly Cakes.




AH! OK I've made CI's white cake. I still like mine better. Thanks for saving me some time!

nickshalfpint Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 4:43pm
post #116 of 123

Snowboarder, I would also love to know what you did. Mine always shrink )=

SweetSuzieQ Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:32pm
post #117 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

My favorite blogger just posted a new vanilla cake recipe. She's very thorough and her stuff usually works. I won't have time to try it yet, but here it is if anyone wants to.

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/07/fluffy-vanilla-cake-with-whipped-vanilla-bean-frosting/

Since people are asking about cupcakes, she's saying in the comments that she'll try it next week.




Oh my, I'm trying this one this week just based on the pic alone! LOL My mouth is still watering. I've been looking for a good white recipe to make rainbow cupcakes as I find with yellow cake, the colors are just not vibrant enough for me. So, I will be making this as cupcakes so, I'll report in if nobody else has tried it before then.

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:29pm
post #118 of 123

Some people said that Rosie's (Sweetapolita) cake is the same as the Cooks Illustrated white cake.

Here is that recipe for reference (sometimes we like to see what people have changed).

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/COOKS-ILLUSTRATED-WHITE-LAYER-CAKE-50017374

And here's comparisons of some white cakes out there:

http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2011/01/white-cake-taste-test.html

And yes! report back because some of us don't have time to bake every cake out there! Thank you!

snowboarder Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 7:29pm
post #119 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

Snowboarder, I would also love to know what you did. Mine always shrink )=




Hi guys! I followed her recipe to a T. I filled the liners 2/3 full and, because it was my first time using this recipe and I was also baking in a brand new oven, I put a pan underneath in case they blew up over the top. But they baked up fine, rose to the top of the liners and filled them out nicely.

snowboarder Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 7:50pm
post #120 of 123

Oh dear, I lied. icon_biggrin.gif I just went back to her recipe. What I did differently is dump the egg whites in (a la CI's white cake recipe where you mix the whites with the milk and add them) as opposed to whipping them to soft peaks and then folding them in. But other than that, I did follow the recipe exactly as a written and this is the one I used (I think there are 2 recipes, right? An old and new version?):

Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe:

2 1/4 C sifted Cake Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks of butter
2 C granulated sugar
4 Lg egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1C sour cream
4 Lg egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare and line 2-8X3" or one 12X3 inch pan with parchment.

Sift togather dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter until light and fluffy, about 2 min. Add sugar and continue to combine until fluffy and light. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients, alternating with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat for 1 min.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter with rubber spatula.

Bake 8" layers 45-50 min and the 12" pan 60 min or until golden brown.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%