Frosting Pairing For Blackberry Filling?

Baking By milocat15 Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm by chrisviz

milocat15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milocat15 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 9

Last week i made cupcakes with a cherry filling, and I'm planning on doing the same with raspberries this week. However, the raspberries are homegrown and not too sweet, so I'd like to pair it with a frosting (I'm using yellow cake) that doesn't overpower them. Any ideas? I'm stuck for pairings with this one. Thanks!

8 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 9

Cream cheese

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 9

I always like lemon or chocolate with raspberries

kittitiangirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittitiangirl Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 9

Lemon frosting is really good with raspberries. I also like to use a light frosting that allows the taste of the raspberries to shine. Like this;
Pink Mountain Frosting
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup light corn syrup
2 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine sugar, corn syrup and cherry juice in saucepan. Cover, heat to rolling boil over medium heat. Remmove cover and boil without stirring till it reaches 242F on a candy thermometer. Or, until a small amount of mixture spins a thread when dropped from a spoon
While mixture is boiling beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Pour syrup slowly in a thin stream into the beaten egg whites while beating constantly on meduim speed Beat on high speed until still peaks form. Add vanilla during last minute of beating.
Makes a nice, light, pretty pink frosting

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 9

I've paired raspberry filling, raspberry buttercream (with a white cake) and it was a great combination.

milocat15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milocat15 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you everyone! Thank you Kittiangirl especially, that sounds fantastic... more things to try! I think I'm gonna combine a few of the posts and do a lemon cream cheese. Yum!

DangerousCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DangerousCupcake Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 9

I've done chambord in the frosting when using berry filling/flavoring in the cake. Obviously doesn't work if you're doing them for a kids' party but tasty if it is for adults!

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 9

I recently did raspberry filling in a cake and I used a lemon frosting. I think the combination tasted great, but I agree with a previous poster that cream cheese would probably be great also! Maybe some kind of struedel flavor? Kind of like a blackberry pie. I don't have a recipe for one, but I'm imagining brown sugar and cinnamon in a cream cheese base.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 9

So many of these sound so good! I have made Blackberry and Raspberry puree and incorporated with Vanilla bean SMBC and made a seriously delish filling, and then just used regular SMBC frost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%