Frosting Question With Veg. Oil

Baking By jessica83 Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 8:35pm by TexasSugar

jessica83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica83 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 6

I am in a time pinch and bought buttercream from a cake supply store. I got home and looked at the ingredients and saw it was made with veg oil? I set some out to see if it would crust and it did not appear to. I do not have a lot of experience and only do this for family but still want a nice cake for them. Is there something I can add to make it crust? I only know how to smooth a cake using the viva method. Is there a different way to smooth a flower shaped cake so I can use this frosting? Please any help???

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 6

You might be able to add some confectioner's sugar to stiffen it up, but if it's the stuff that comes in a can you're probably out of luck.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 6

Crusting is the fat to sugar ratio.

My first thought was like costumeczar, which would be to add powder sugar. The other thought would be to try meringue powder. It isn't the main that that would make something crust, but it could help.

I think it'd all depend on how soft it was, and which order the ingredients were in. If the oil was new the first things and the sugar is later on, then there may be too much oil/fat in there to be able to change it with out using a lot of powder sugar.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 6

That canned icing has a texture like plastic...I don't think anything can overcome that!

jessica83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica83 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 6

It is not canned it is freshly made, and it says hydrogenated veg. oil and if I am not mistaken that is just veg shortening. Thanks anyway everyone, I can just adjust it with sugar!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 6

Hydrogenated veg oil would be different than just veg oil. One is a solid and one is a liquid.

Try adding the sugar. It should work, depending on the ratio of fat/sugar. There are some recipes out there that use so much fat that it would take a ton of powder sugar to make it crusting. There are also some that use just enough fat to change the crusting. That one would be easier to fix.

Not all shortening and powder sugar recipes crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%