Question About Odd Issue With Mmf

Decorating By missy84 Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 3:33am by missy84

missy84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy84 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, new day, new question.

I made MMF for the second time ever last night, this time using the popular MMF recipe I found on this site. I ended up with very odd little clear, soft bits of something or other throughout the fondant. Otherwise the taste and texture are great.

My guess is that maybe these little bits are from the Crisco I used to grease the bowl I melted the marshmallows in, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

There are enough that I got really frustrated picking them out as I kneaded the fondant last night. My husband stopped me from throwing it out, and just going out to get store-bought since he really prefers the taste of MMF. He's convinced me to roll it out later today and see how it looks. I figure if there are only a few bits left then I'll remove them, and keep the fondant to use later this week. Otherwise I'll scrap it and either start over with a different recipe or go buy a less tasty, but smoother version.

Anyone ever experience this problem, and if so, know what to do to avoid it? Thanks!

11 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 12

Did you sift your powdered sugar first? It may be from little lumps of powdered sugar getting coated in the shortening and not working in all the way. I had that happen to me once.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 12

I haven't had this problem yet (knock on wood), but did you sift your sugar first? You can always microwave your fondant in 5 to 10 second increments to see if the little bit melt?

HTH

patti1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patti1955 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 12

I've had this problem too. It seems that it happens when I use store-brand powdered sugar, even after sifting. The last time I used a name brand it came out fine. I don't know if that was a fluke or it is the solution, but I'm sticking with name brand for MMF.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 12

I make mmf all the time and I've never sifted my powdered sugar.

Sometimes I do get the little hard bits that you're describing, but if I wrap the mmf tightly in greased plastic wrap and allow it to rest overnight, when I knead it the next day, the bits are gone.

It's little pieces of sugar that will dissolve if you allow it to rest.

You'll have much better luck if you make the mmf a day ahead instead of trying to use it right away.

HTH

missy84 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 12

Unfortunately the grocery stores around here all carry the exact same brand of powdered sugar so changing brands isn't an option (at least not for this cake, as ordering a different sugar via the internet would take too long).

I did sift the sugar before adding it, but I noticed the sugar get a little bit clumpy at spots in the bowl before I turned it out on the fondant mat and started kneading it. Perhaps this is where the small clumps of sugar developed.

I did put a light layer of Crisco on it and wrap it tightly before placing it in it a plastic bag last night. My fingers are crossed that when I take it out this evening and knead it the bits will have dissolved. Glad I decided to make it a few days ahead of time. I won't be using the fondant until Thursday anyway, so even if I make more tonight it will have plenty of time to rest.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 12

It should be fine by tonight and if it's not you can microwave it 10 seconds at a time and knead until smooth as another member suggested.

Good luck!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 12

I have had that issue once before. I just pulled out the little hard spots to make it work. Not sure why it happened and hasn't happened since. I do not sift my ps either.

Stephanie

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 12

It's happened to me too. I think its if the marshmallows are heated too long and not stirred enough through the melting process. Once I've notice at the bottom of my melted marshmallow bowl, while I was scraping the bottom there was clear gel areas. I think this is what caused those hard clear lumps in my fondant. I even used the name brand marshmallows. I always use store brand or the commercial size bag of powder sugar from sams.

missy84 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacakesandbakes

It's happened to me too. I think its if the marshmallows are heated too long and not stirred enough through the melting process. Once I've notice at the bottom of my melted marshmallow bowl, while I was scraping the bottom there was clear gel areas. I think this is what caused those hard clear lumps in my fondant. I even used the name brand marshmallows. I always use store brand or the commercial size bag of powder sugar from sams.

Oh hey that actually makes sense, since marshmallows contain gelatin. It's probably the gelatin that's separated out (if that's possible) in the melting process and has recooled before being properly mixed back together. That also would explain why when left to sit the fondant generally reabsorbs these little bits, or a few seconds in the microwave helps get rid of them.

Last night I got nervous they weren't heated enough and maybe ended up over heating them (they were in the microwave for about 1 min 30 sec), plus mixing always seems to make such a mess I might be guilty of undermixing....

Tonight I'm going to try heating less and mixing more. icon_biggrin.gif

TiffyB73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffyB73 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 12

I agree with sacakesandbakes. It happened to me a few weeks ago and I think it's because I over heated the marsmallows. HTH

missy84 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:33am
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice! I went back this evening and even after reheating the fondant a bit in the microwave and kneading there were still some round bits in there. I ended up rolling it out and using a sharp knife to pick out any visible bits. Afterward I kneaded it again and gave it a once over. I do believe it is still usable, though I will likely use it on the bottom cake, as any imperfections should be covered by the top layer or royal icing scroll work.

I also made a second batch tonight, except this time I only heated the marshmallows for 45 seconds and stirred until everything was melted. I ended up with the most beautiful batch of MMF, without an imperfection in sight!! Thanks so much for the tip to heat less and stir more!! I'll never make the same mistake again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%