Wilton Classes - Where To Start?

Decorating By leafO Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 4:07am by leafO

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I had some questions for any Wilton method instructors or someone who has taken the wilton classes. I was wondering what info the different class levels cover. Is it important to start with level one or will it be review for me? I'm self taught so far but would love to take some classes to help me refine my skills and learn more, I'm just not sure where to start? I would love some input or suggestions, thanks!

7 replies
CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 8

Depending on your skill level, I would start with the first course. I think Wilton has tutorials on youtube. There are also tons of other cake decorating lessons/tutorials on youtube. check them out. icon_biggrin.gif

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 8

I spoke with a lady just a few weeks ago that has been teaching Wilton method classes at our local Hobby Lobby. I took them about 4 years ago.
They have updated their courses now, which is really a good thing. They are finally a little more up-to-date with current techniques and trends. If you have a local store that offers the courses, they usually have the course books on the shelf......take a look at course one and see if you think it would help you. They may even have the course content on-line, not sure.
I don't regret taking them. Even though since then, I've had to teach myself a lot more....and this site helped a lot with that!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 8

As a WMI, even if you have some experience, I would suggest starting with the Decorating Basics course. If you get a good WMI, you will take away a lot of information.

I recently had a lady that has been decorating as long as I have been alive, come back and do all the new courses. She actually took the old course 3 with me a year and a half ago. She loved them, picked up a few new things or different ways to do them.

http://www.wilton.com/classes/local_classes.cfm

This page has links to a page that covers what each of the new courses offer. icon_smile.gif

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 8

Looking at the level of work you do, my thought would be that there is not much you could get from the beginning level classes. But as has been stated before sometimes you can pick up some good info even if you are very good already. See if you can get into the more advanced classes.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 8

I have had people start in Course 2 and 3 and wished they had started in Course 1. It is difficult to stop class and reteach to those who do not know the techniques. Plus, it is not fair to take away from class time to those who have taken the first course. Lastly, there are things in the first course's kit that you will need in the other two courses. The classes are fun and informative. I have never had a student tell me they were disappointed.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 8

Blissful, my students have been the same way.

Plus if all else fails, it's a few hours once a week, away from everything where you get to play cake with others that enjoy it. icon_smile.gif

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 4:07am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for the info! I think I will start with level 1, I could use the piping practice icon_smile.gif Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%