Fresh Fruit In A Cake Filling

Baking By SamHarrison Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 1:38pm by SamHarrison

SamHarrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamHarrison Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 10:55am
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to do a cake this weekend for people who are strawberry mad. Can I put fresh strawberries into my buttercream to fill the cake with or will it make the cake go soggy? I know I can get strawberry flavouring but it just tastes so artificial that I'd rather go with fresh strawberries.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

4 replies
Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 11:23am
post #2 of 5

I've seen Buddy do this on his show. He just layers sliced strawberries on top of the buttercream filling and then tops with the next cake layer. I think as long as you fill it no more than the day before the cake is needed you should be fine.

SamHarrison Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 5

Lovely thank you! Yeah I'm making and icing it on saturday and it will be eaten on sunday. I might have to get some cream in too and use up the extra strawberries on some cupcakes, I've been itching to try out an Eton Mess style cupcake. Mmmmm.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 5

You can alsoa dd strawberry puree to your buttercream. But yup, you can slice it.

SamHarrison Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 5

Oooh a strawberry puree would be lovely! Otherwise I could make like a coulis to go in it if the strawberries are a bit sharp. Yeum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%