Red Velvet Mush :(

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 5:37am by madcobbler

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:47am
post #1 of 7

I was so sad tonight as I cut into my beautiful wedding cake that had two tiers red velvet with cream cheese filling...and it was MUSH icon_cry.gif The WI weather is not fairing well at the moment with a heat index of about 101 today. The room we were in was so small and they just remodeled with new lights and on top of the 135 people crammed in the place BUT had AC...it just fell apart icon_sad.gif I am seriously sooo sad right now. my husband keeps telling me not to worry about it, it did taste really good icon_smile.gif

I really do believe the cream cheese filling was the culprit...it was just OOZING out of the layers as i cut it. I dunno what else I could've done. I have another wedding cake at the end of the month that has red velvet and I already emailed them about possibly not doing cream cheese frosting.

Maybe i need a new recipe? What do you guys use?
I guess i need some consoling icon_redface.gif

6 replies
step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 12:55am
post #2 of 7

i thought i would've had a bunch of posts by now...no help? icon_sad.gif

augurey Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:30am
post #3 of 7

IIRC, there was a post about Earlene's Cream Cheese recipe. Recipe includes shortening in addition to the cream cheese, which I'm guessing allows it to hold better in heat?

I'm honestly not too sure as I've only just read about it and looked up the recipe on google the other night. I haven't tried, though I would love to, but maybe look into that and see if it's an option?

Sorry to hear about your cake though!

SammieB Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:50am
post #4 of 7

I honestly don't know how to help you with the cream cheese frosting, but I feel you about the heat. I finally switched to Indydeb's buttercream (which is all shortening) during the summer. I have to admit, I know everyone in the world swears by it, but I'm not in love with the taste. However, with a heat index of 112 and 86% humidity it holds its own. So I'm guessing if you could find a recipe with the proper ratios of cream cheese/shortening it might help stabilize it in the heat.

step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:02am
post #5 of 7

ahhhh...ack! it must've been that i only did butter icon_sad.gif crud, can't believe i forgot that! the strange thing is that the 6" cake held up well with the same frosting in it!
Sammie, i think you're right about finding the correct ratio to stand up to the heat...didn't even think of that icon_sad.gif

pmarks0 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:07am
post #6 of 7

I use Mamawrobin's variation of IndyDebi's buttercream on page three of this thread. And it's awesome if you add the white chocolate.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=685989&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30

I used it all the time with my red velvet.

madcobbler Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:37am
post #7 of 7

For wedding cakes I replace half the butter with shortening in my cream cheese icing so it will hold up better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%