Help! I Need To Transfer My Cake To A Cake Board

Decorating By Tfaye Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm by Tfaye

Tfaye Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:44am
post #1 of 5

I made a round cake for the face, and then cut out triangle shaped ears. I then stuck the ears to the round face and iced it with buttercream.

Now I need to transfer the cake to the board that I intend on taking to my daughter's b-day party. I'm afraid the cake will fall apart. What is the best way to transfer this cake so it doesn't fall apart? Also, should I put the fondant on before I transfer it, or after I transfer it?

4 replies
YorkieMaMa Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:03am
post #2 of 5

I would take the cake apart, transfer it to the cake board, re-ice it to attach the pieces and then cover it with fondant. The fondant will cover any patching that you had to do to re-attach the pieces.

I am assuming this is an animal face of some sort?

CWR41 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:15am
post #3 of 5

What is the cake on now? If you iced it on a cardboard, just trim the excess away and transfer it to the finished board.

How big is the cake? If you iced it on a cookie sheet or something you can't trim it will probably fall apart if you try to transfer it. Rather than ruining your work, freeze the whole thing if you can--it'll be easier to lift with a spatula after it's frozen.

Tfaye Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:54am
post #4 of 5

The character is Pikatchu from Pokemon.

I iced the cake on a cookie sheet. I will freeze the cake and hope for the best when I transfer it.

Tfaye Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 5

I transferred the cake and it turned out good. The ears fell of but I was able to reattach them.

I wasn't able to freeze the cake because the cookie sheet wouldn't fit in the freezer. I did leave it in the refrigerator all night though.

Thanks for your help and all the answers you guys give to the newbies. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%