What Do You Think About Fake Flowers For Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By danawitkowski Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 5:50pm by KoryAK

danawitkowski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danawitkowski Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:40am
post #1 of 8

I sort of bit off more than I can chew (seems to be a running theme for me), and was going to make my first ever gumpaste/fondant flowers for this wedding cake coming up this weekend. Unfortunately, I cannot get anything to look right, my flowers keep cracking, breaking, and generally looking all un-flower-like.
I was going to approach my friend and ask her if I could use fake flowers. She knows I decorate cakes for the fun of it, but I'm afraid it would look unprofessional to ask if I can use fake flowers. On the other hand, I'd rather the cake look great with fake flowers, than ehhhh with the flowers I've been working on. Plus, Michaels and Hobby Lobby have very real looking fake flowers.
So, what do you think? Any input/advice is most welcome! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:50am
post #2 of 8

Why not use real flowers, much nicer than fake.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:53am
post #3 of 8

Most of our wedding cakes use real flowers, it turns out to be cheaper for brides to pay their florist for a few extra flowers that can be arranged on the cake versus paying for our time making gumpaste or fondant flowers.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:02am
post #4 of 8

You could also use fresh flowers, candy clay flowers, royal icing flowers, or buttercream flowers. I would rather have a cake with nice silk flowers than with gumpaste or fondant flowers that looked awful. Are you making your own gumpaste and/or fondant? Maybe you would have better luck with something premade. Also are you being overly critical of yourself? Show your friend the flowers you've made so far if possible in person or email her a picture and see what she wants to do. I hope everything turns out well for you and post a picture of the cake when your done.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:21am
post #5 of 8

Go for it . There are some beautiful silks out there that look and feel like real ones. I use silks a lot and have never had anyone complain. It is really in the arranging that you can make or break your floral work. You might have gorgeous gumpaste flowers but just don't arrange them in an appealing way.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 8

I think it can be really beautiful or really awful depending on the quality of the flowers and how they are arranged. If you go with silks be sure to get some nice quality ones and arrange them nicely. Don't be afraid to bend an twist the leaves and stems where you want them to help them look more life like.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafO

I think it can be really beautiful or really awful depending on the quality of the flowers and how they are arranged. If you go with silks be sure to get some nice quality ones and arrange them nicely. Don't be afraid to bend an twist the leaves and stems where you want them to help them look more life like.

Exactly! thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 8

Just call them "silk" and not "fake" icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%