Can I Make Pratice Buttercream "frosting" With Flo

Baking By Lovelyladylibra Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 6:25pm by TexasSugar

Lovelyladylibra Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:34am
post #1 of 6

I just want to practice designs i don't want to eat it and don't want to spend money on sugar ill be wasting. It doesn't need the flavors or ingredients of butter cream just the consistency... thanks

5 replies
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:01am
post #2 of 6

I'm sorry, but what is flo? If the word got cut off and you mean flour, I'd say no. Flour only superficially resembles powdered sugar. Just think how differently flour and PS behave when they get a little liquid in them: PS becomes icing, while flour becomes a primitive form of pie dough.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 6

Personally I'd just make a basic all shortening buttercream. With a cup of crisco and a lb of powder sugar you get 2.5-3 cups of icing. You can leave the flavoring out if you want.

Just pipe on some wax paper or a practice board, scoop it up and use it over and over and over again. You can even store it in the fridge for periods of time and pull it out again to practice with.

Personally I think if you are practicing, it is best if you use something that closely resembles the real deal.

Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 6

That's a good point about using the buttercream over and over again, TexasSugar. I remember when I was taking the Wilton courses I would use it and use it until it sort of started drying out from so much piping. But it lasts a good long time before that happens.

Lovelyladylibra Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Personally I'd just make a basic all shortening buttercream. With a cup of crisco and a lb of powder sugar you get 2.5-3 cups of icing. You can leave the flavoring out if you want.

Just pipe on some wax paper or a practice board, scoop it up and use it over and over and over again. You can even store it in the fridge for periods of time and pull it out again to practice with.

Personally I think if you are practicing, it is best if you use something that closely resembles the real deal.

thanks, i didnt know id be able to keep resuing it thats why i asked about the flour. but thanks ill do it that way icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 6

Yep, you can keep reusing it.

This is why the Wilton classes use the shortening based recipe in class, because it holds up better to be used over and over for the in class practice. As long as you are keeping it stored well, there shouldn't be a problem with it. And if you just use it for practice and not on a cake you really don't have to worry about keeping it too long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%