Need Help In Planning

Baking By galliesway Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 7:03am by amaryllis756

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 10

I got asked to do a wedding and she wants 300 cupcakes. The bride is very laid back. I agreed to do this it was before my sister had set her date. I was asked to do this in in June and my sister was going to do a Vegas wedding but now decided on a B&B at the WI Dell's. The wedding is the 5th and my sister is the 6th. I work a full time job.

I am thinking I am going to have to bake and freeze ahead. I will be doing a lemon & raspberry filling, cookies & cream, and chocolate all with a vanilla BC. I am doing a gum paste Gerber daisy and a few pearls. I guess what I need what are your opinions as far as planning this out. I normally just do cakes here and there and never have to worry about it conflicting with anything else.

I appreciate your opinions and suggestion!

9 replies
Becca1007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becca1007 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 10

Do your gum paste decorations now... they can be stored so the earlier you get them done the better.

I am doing 300 cupcakes for a wedding in two weeks. However I have access to a commercial kitchen on site for the two days before the wedding. So I don't have to figure out the logistics of transporting. My gum paste toppers have already been done and that took a lot more time than I had thought it would. 300 of anything is just time consuming.

Anyways, a couple of questions. Are you baking at home in a standard oven? How many cupcake pans / cupcakes can you put in your oven at once?

You might think about freezing your batter instead of baked cupcakes. I had mixed success with freezing cupcakes as the wrappers tended to separate from the cake. But at least if all your batter is made and you just have to scoop and bake it might be easier.

galliesway Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:08am
post #3 of 10

Becca, I am baking in a standard oven. I only bake 2 dozen at a time but i have access to my mom's oven a few houses down( don't ask) so I could be baking 2 in hers as well. The biggest order I have done is 200. I pretty much thought I should be making the gumpaste ahead of time. I will start this weekend. I use the WASC recipes other than the cookies and cream. I was worried they would be too moist and be stick if I froze them. I let them dry out a bit before I frost them anyway.

I have stored them before frosting and know they get too moist from no air circulating but will that be a problem if they are frosted?

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:20am
post #4 of 10

Can you fit four cupcake pans in your oven? I know I can.
Can you borrow two additional cupcake pans from your mom?
Then you can bake almost 50 cupcakes at a time.

Will you be using decorative cupcake liners like a second liner? If so, can you bake now and freeze the cupcakes and put them in the decorative liners later?

If you are using buttercream icing, that can be made ahead too. Usually, I make mine the day of or day before but you can make it a head and pop it in the fridge then take it out, let it come to room temperature and put it back in the mixer for a few minutes.

I hope this helps...

galliesway Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 1:08am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Can you fit four cupcake pans in your oven? I know I can.
Can you borrow two additional cupcake pans from your mom?
Then you can bake almost 50 cupcakes at a time.

Will you be using decorative cupcake liners like a second liner? If so, can you bake now and freeze the cupcakes and put them in the decorative liners later?

If you are using buttercream icing, that can be made ahead too. Usually, I make mine the day of or day before but you can make it a head and pop it in the fridge then take it out, let it come to room temperature and put it back in the mixer for a few minutes.

I hope this helps...

I have six cupcake pans and yes I can bake four but I find they don't bake equally which is why I do two at a time. I could have her baking 2 in her oven while 2 are going in mine. As far as liners go I was planning on using wedding white foils.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 10

@galliesway, you can rotate them 1/2 through the baking time for more even baking.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:59am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilismaius

@galliesway, you can rotate them 1/2 through the baking time for more even baking.

Yes, this is what I do. I rotate the pans top to bottom and rotate the pan it self, left to right. I set the timer for half the baking time and switch.

Caker16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caker16 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 12:36am
post #8 of 10

I have an extremely similar situation happening for a wedding I'm doing in late September and have only my oven at home to use for 200 cupcakes and a mini cake with gumpaste daisies. I'm jumping on this post for any advice any one has. icon_wink.gif

I know I'm going to have to freeze some of the cupcakes because there are 4 different flavors I'm doing. Whenever I have extras of those flavors the bride and groom chose I freeze them for 2 days and taste test them again to make sure they freeze well. Maybe try that if you are worried about taste/texture. Not much advice, but I hope it helps!

Good luck with the wedding! If you have any advice at the end of it I would love to hear it!

galliesway Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for your help! Pics in my album. Here's what I did... I ended only baking in my oven two pans at a time. My mom;s oven was off and didn't have time to experiment. We had gotten so much rain and our basement flooded so I had a crazy week on top of working!! I made the flowers the Sat. before and made 20 extras flowers and centers. They took about 2 days to dry as it was humid!

I ended up getting out the dehumidifier on Sunday. Monday I painted the centers. I baked 100 on Tuesday put in cupcake couriers and froze the other batters. I did find that I had to go down a size on my portion scoops with the frozen batter. Wed. night I also glued the centers with royal icing. I Made frosting early Thursday am, frosted, placed flowers, and boxed them.

It worked out well! Thanks again!!

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:03am
post #10 of 10

As I was reading the other posts, I was getting worrried, but you seem to have managed really well. I myself just got done with a 400 cupcake wedding, and it also worked out well for me. Glad everything turned out well for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%