What Buttercream Do You Use?

Decorating By SweetpeasBakery Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 9:36am by MikeRowesHunny

SweetpeasBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetpeasBakery Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 15

So, in short, I really didn't get a very straight answer from my last post (which is now locked because people were getting a little too rowdy) I am in NO WAY looking to provoke anyone or insult anyones work. As someone who is in the process of starting a new business, I am simply trying to figure out how many people use each type of "Buttercream."

I'd like if my question were very simply answered. I don't need to know specifically why you do or don't use it or why you like one over the other. I don't expect everyones answer to be the same as people have different tastes.

Please ONLY include:
1. Which type you use most: all butter, half butter & half shortening, all shortening or other (if other, please specify which)
2. Which your customers prefer taste wise:
3. Which you prefer taste wise
3. Where you're located:
4. If you are a hobby or professional baker:

PLEASE answer nicely- I don't want this to be a debate, just a simple answer- cut and paste the list above and fill in with your answers. I'm just a new business owner looking for some needed answers!
After some thought, for my business I will offer three types and they will be labeled as: "Traditional Cake Frosting" (w/ all shortening), "Buttercream" (1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening) and "100% Buttercream" (all butter) This is simply based on my opinion only.

14 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 15

1. We use primarily dairy-free buttercream made with vegan margarine and Sweetex Z hi-ratio shortening (zero trans fat). We also offer dairy-free/soy-free buttercream made with palm oil shortening.
2. Our customers prefer the margarine/shortening-based buttercream to butter-based buttercream
3. I also prefer margarine/shortening-based buttercream
4. We are a professional licensed bakery operating out of a rented commercial kitchen located in the SF Bay Area

Regarding offering different types of buttercream, you will probably get a ton of questions asking what the difference is between them, since most people aren't aware of different types of buttercream. There's nothing wrong with this per se, but it may complicate things if volume ramps up since you will need to keep 3 different types of buttercream around (unless you make it on the spot), and you'll probably want to keep samples so customers can try the different types.

There is actually another set of types of buttercream that has little to do with the choice of fat: American, meringue, French, and German buttercream. More info below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttercream

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 15

I use all shortening. We have had nothing be 100+ temps in July, and half of June was 100+ temps. Add on the heat index and it has been crazy hot here. I could not even imagine trying to use butter in my buttercream in Texas in the summer.

Those I make cakes for have had no problems with my buttercream at all. I am a hobby baker, though I don't know what difference that really makes.

Honestly, I think you should stick to what works for you and what *your* customers prefer. If I was in a business, I wouldn't bother with offering the different 'fats' to people. I can under stand offering different types of buttercream, like the meringues and the 'american' buttercreams, but not asking if they want shortening, half and half or butter in their icing. Just make it easier on yourself and your customers and pick the type of buttercream that you can work well with, and that the majority of the people eating your cakes like.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

If I was in a business, I wouldn't bother with offering the different 'fats' to people. I can under stand offering different types of buttercream, like the meringues and the 'american' buttercreams, but not asking if they want shortening, half and half or butter in their icing.

Agreed 100%! thumbs_up.gif

Most people don't even realize that the frosting they love is loaded with shortening. If you ask them, of course they'll SAY butter, but in a blind taste test, they may not prefer the all butter.

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 15

Please ONLY include:
1. Which type you use most: Italian Meringue Buttercream with all butter for cakes, and powder sugar buttercream with all butter for cupcakes
2. Which your customers prefer taste wise: they love our buttercream
3. Which you prefer taste wise: "crusting" buttercream is too sweet for me
3. Where you're located: Phoenix, Arizona
4. If you are a hobby or professional baker: Work at a resort in the pastry shop doing all the cakes

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 15

1. Which type you use most:shortening (Alpine), Charlotte's
2. Which your customers prefer taste wise: They often comment about how "light" my icing is compared to the typical heavy bakery icing.
3. Which you prefer taste wise: I use Charlotte's because I prefer it.
3. Where you're located: major city/1 million metro area
4. If you are a hobby or professional baker: pro (inspected/licensed/insured and culinary school trained)

SweetpeasBakery Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 15

While I appreciate opinions, I'd like to keep them off this post since I don't want any debate to lead to the topic being locked.

I am only interested in the answers to the questions. If you have opinions or advice you'd like to share with me, please do so through PM. Thanks.

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 15

1. Which type you use most: Swiss Meringue Butter Cream

2. Which your customers prefer taste wise: Toss up between SMBC and ganache

3. Which you prefer taste wise: SMBC

3. Where you're located: Western PA

4. If you are a hobby or professional baker: Very "green" hobby baker

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 15

1. Which type you use most: all butter, half butter & half shortening, all shortening or other (if other, please specify which)

Currently all shortening (hi ratio). I've not been able to master SMBC, but I do plan on experimenting with all of the above, but I've pretty much have mostly worked with all shortening.

2. Which your customers prefer taste wise:

Well, I don't have customers, but my family and my boyfriend and his family have been my taste testers, and to be 100% honest, my feeble attempt at SMBC completely won out in flavor (I'm just struggling with consistency which is why I've been sticking with shortening based buttercream).

3. Which you prefer taste wise

Personally, I prefer the shortening based (non-crisco as I think there's a big difference in taste). But I also feel the shortening based tend to be sweeter, and I generally prefer sweeter.

4. Where you're located:

NE Ohio

5. If you are a hobby or professional baker: Hobby baker, aspiring professional baker.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:39am
post #10 of 15

1. I mostly use half unsalted butter & half hi ratio shortening buttercream
2. My 50/50 buttercream. It's amazing how many people have never heard of SMBC or have yet to try it.
3. Cream cheese icing is my favorite and then my 50/50 buttercream.
4. Oregon Coast
5. Former professional. I'm currently a hobby baker for family and friends while raising my 2 kids and saving up for store front bakery.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:21am
post #11 of 15

HR shortening icing (sweetex)
my customers dont have a choice, but theyve never complained either.
I like my icing too, tried the meringue kind and am not keen.
Professional baker in TX

SweetpeasBakery Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:17am
post #12 of 15

Thank you for your responses so far- I hope even more people will chime in! icon_smile.gif

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:31am
post #13 of 15

1. Which type you use most: all butter american butter cream. I also salt mine a bit to cut the sweetness. Same thing at my work
2. Which your customers prefer taste wise: I've never had any complaints at home, I've had some people say they like it better than say, market cake. At work I on;y remember one person ever complaining, she said she wanted it to taste like super market cake. I have seen people on yelp saying it's too sweet, but I think that's just preference.
3. Which you prefer taste wise: Real butter! I like the taste and texture better. I do love some Italian meringue, but it doesn't lend itself well to the work I do
3. Where you're located: Los Angeles, ca
4. If you are a hobby or professional baker: Hobby at home, professional at work

sweet_tooth_0710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_tooth_0710 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:45am
post #14 of 15

1. Which type you use most: SMBC or all butter
2. Which your customers prefer taste wise: both.. depending on if they like really sweet or not
3. Where you're located: small town VA
4. If you are a hobby or professional baker: hobby..with big dreams
icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:36am
post #15 of 15

1. Which type you use most: generally all butter based powdered sugar kind for kids, SMBC for adults - however the majority of my cakes are covered in ganache and then fondant.
2. Which your customers prefer taste wise: kids powder sugar based, adults SMBC
3. Where you're located: The Hague, Europe
4. If you are a hobby or professional baker: Pro

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%