Yogurt In Cake!

Baking By SteveJ Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 5:38pm by SweetSuzieQ

SteveJ Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 7

Whenever i make lemon cake i get out my Grandma's lemon drizzle cake recipe as it is always a winner! However, i tried a lemon and blueberry cake from a village fate the other day and i have to say that was better than my family recipe icon_surprised.gif

so i went online and searched for a recipe! lots of lemon cakes i came across had yogurt in them...i've never come across this before! What does characteristics does it bring to a cake? (does it make it moist/creamy/dense etc?!) and can yogurt be added to ANY recipe, such as a simple sponge cake or chocolate cake?

6 replies
Baker_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:24am
post #2 of 7

Yogurt can be used in place of milk or sour cream in just about any recipe I can think of. I use yogurt mixed with milk (half and half) when a recipe calls for buttermilk. I don't keep buttermilk on hand, don't want to have to buy it and try to use up what's left and I always have plain, all natural yogurt on hand for smoothies etc.

Tami icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:36am
post #3 of 7

Yogurt is a leavener, we use it in some of our recipes as an egg substitute. Soy yogurt also works for egg-free/dairy-free items.

bakingpw Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:02am
post #4 of 7

I often use yogurt in place of 1/2 of the fat. It adds moisture, texture and tangy flavor.

SteveJ Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:34am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, my Grandma's recipe uses some milk and the egg content seems quite low so i might try yogurt instead of the milk next time to see if it improves it!

In fact i might try the idea of using yogurt instead of buttermilk as i never have that either (and currently use just milk whenever a recipe asks for it!)

SteveJ Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

tried the yogurt in my grandmas lemon cake recipe and it made the best lemon cake yet! really pleased with! i even used yogurt instead of milk to loosen some butter cream for a victoria sponge and people commented on how good that was too (and id run out of vanilla extract so was suprised that people liked it so much!)

it seems like im going to be using a lot more yogurt in future!

SweetSuzieQ Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 7

A good tip if you don't have buttermilk is to put 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and add milk to the one cup line. Let stand for 5 minutes and, use as much as needed for your recipe.

I love baking with buttermilk so, usually have some kicking around (and my daughter likes to drink it as well) but, I have used this in a pinch or red velvet with great results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%