Help! With Edible Hair For Cake Topper Characters

Decorating By Sylkladie Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 11:16pm by olleharr

Sylkladie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sylkladie Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 7

I really need help. I have a cake I need to do for this weekend and I am making elmo and cookie monster as cake toppers out of RKT and covered in fondant. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to come up with how to do the hair. your help would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylkladie

I really need help. I have a cake I need to do for this weekend and I am making elmo and cookie monster as cake toppers out of RKT and covered in fondant. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to come up with how to do the hair. your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi the best way is either to use a clay extruder, mix the fondant with a little shortening to soften it up more makes it easier to get out of the extruder. If you have trouble with that you can roll small thin rolls of it but this will take a lot lot longer

HTH

Sylkladie Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that, is a clay extruder easier to handle than a pasta machine. I ask, because I got a pasta machine as a present, but never used it.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 7

You could do buttercream with a grass tip or if you're doing fondant you can cut little snips all over with small scissors.

Sylkladie Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 7

Hmm! I have used that technique for trees, but it never crossed my mind that I could also use this as a hair option. I appreciate your input.

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 7

I would also suggest the grass tip, I love it!

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

The grass tip does work great with icing. You can make it look like fur pretty easily. I have a Monster's Inc cake in my gallery if you want to see what it looks like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%