Topsy Turvey

Decorating By KimErskine Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 1:14am by KimErskine

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:30am
post #1 of 8

I'm going to be doing my first Topsy Turvy cake next week. I'm very excited and nervous. I have watched videos on YouTub and just wanted to get some does and don'ts from anyone willing to help me. I was going to go with the cut out the hole method.

7 replies
rickfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rickfan Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 8

Hi I try it and was a little hard the first time but it work,then I buy some at least 3 pans in the shape and now is a brezze for me.

KimErskine Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 8

Didn't know they had cake pans that baked the cakes that way...awesome. I'm going to have to invest in some of those...Thanks.

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 8

I actually JUST made my first one this past weekend. My only advice is to cut the hole a little bigger than the cake board (just very slightly), otherwise the cake doesn't quite fit exactly once fondant is on the cake (if you are doing fondant). But it was much easier than I thought it would be!

boomerangbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boomerangbaker Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 8

When I make them I carve/taper each cake, ice and cover in fondant and then with scissors cut the excess board off of each cake and then use that as a template to make the hole.
That way the hole is the same size as the cake that needs to go in it, hope that makes sense.

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 8

Also - were you planning to fondant first and then cut the hole for the cake, or cut the hole and then fondant?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 8

Cut the hole method all the way! I fill, buttercream, cut the hole, fondant, cut that hole, and stack. You do not need special pans, in fact they are probably a waste of money icon_smile.gif

KimErskine Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:14am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the advice. I think I have a lot of work ahead of me. Maybe I will start with just 2 tier. I was going to go three high but IDK...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%