Cake Tastings And Home Based Bakery

Business By rissadragons Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 8:38pm by kathie-d

rissadragons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rissadragons Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:27am
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone! I just recently started a home based bakery and was curious where everyone does their cake tastings if you don't want to do them from home. I was thinking maybe Starbucks type location but didn't know if that was an option or what my options were. Thanks in advance for your ideas!!

11 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:31am
post #2 of 12

We always do ours at Starbucks, sometimes Panera. We've never had anyone have a problem with it! We always buy a couple of drinks so that we are not just bumming off Starbucks' space and not patronizing them. It has worked great so far!

bjazzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjazzy Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:01am
post #3 of 12

Hello! Please tell me exactly how that works since starbcuks sells cakes & muffins! if this works for you, I may give it a try. I never thought about doing it there. I host jewelry, tupperware ect parties and theme my cake business around the party and it has been working. This way I get to show potential clients what I offer for weddings, girls night out baby shower ect!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:15am
post #4 of 12

I meet at the food court of the local mall.

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 12

The food court idea is good, I never thought of that. I meet clients at Starbucks but send them home with the sample cakes to taste later, so our meeting is more of a consultation and I don't feel bad about using Starbucks space.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 12

I use Starbucks or go to the client's house.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 12

I always give the client the option of meeting me here at my home or somewhere more convenient for them. I always make sure the house is all clean and looks its best when they come, and I am very professional about it. I only do tastings by appointment. I don't have any children at home anymore though!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 12

I go to the brides or meet somewhere in the middle of where I am and where they are. I also give them the option of me just dropping off samples to them at their convenience (my regular delivery charges apply, $1.00/mile outside of my city). Nobody has ever thought it strange that I don't have them in my home, I have 4 children and it's much easier for me to duck out for an hr. than it is to get rid of my kids for an hr.!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 12

I hold the tastings in my home at the dinning room table. I don't have any kids (unless you count my husband) so there are no distractions or noise. I like the fact that the clients see the place their cakes are being prepared in. I keep my home very clean - which is a selling feature for them to see that.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjazzy

Hello! Please tell me exactly how that works since starbcuks sells cakes & muffins! if this works for you, I may give it a try. I never thought about doing it there.

Starbucks hasn't had a problem with us having our samples there. As I said, we make sure to always buy a drink so that we aren't just being freeloaders! But many people meet at SB for business meetings and the like, I think they expect it.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 12

I have them at our dining room table too. Yes, the house needs to be clean, yes the 4 year old needs to be "put away," and yes, its a looong drive for my clients. I always say it weeds out the looky-loos.
I like to have everything at my fingertips, and I don't like paying for a sitter 3 nights a week. And I'm certainly not driving 30 minutes to meet someone that isn't even a customer yet.
But that's me....icon_smile.gif

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 12

Wow! Seems Starbucks is the location of choice! That's where I have mine as well. I was there last week and they told me they actually like that I had them there! Usually the brides order cupcakes and bring them home, but last week they just dived right in and nobody seemed to mind. Has been working so far for me. I rent a kitchen space and don't have a store front and I have a 2 year old and a dog at home. Even with my husbands help I don't think I would ever consider having them at home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%