How Long Can You Put A Cake In The Freezer That Has Fondant

Baking By pheonix31571 Updated 23 Oct 2011 , 7:20am by letika

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 5

I left my cake in the freezer with fondant set on the lowest setting thinking it wouldnt freeze just keep it cool. Boy big mistake. My fondant was so wet with condensation that I had to keep putting powdered sugar on it to soak up the condensation. I had to cool my cake down and all I have is a freezer. so how do you cool a cake that has fondant or how long can I leave it in the freezer before I will start to have bad problems? My buttercream icing is staying so soft any tips on that as well. I use equal parts butter and crisco. I dont like my icing really sweet.

thank you so much for your help in this matter.

icon_rolleyes.gif newbie

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 5

This isn't directed at you solely, because many people do the same thing. I always wonder about why people stick stuff in the fridge or freezer to firm it up quickly when they are having issues with it being too soft. Because to me, one it returns to room temp you will still have those issues, plus other issues, such as the condensation.

I live in a humid area, so I really avoid the fridge or freezer. This time of year, I can't even pull something of the fridge for a minute with out it starting to sweat. And the problem with the freezer is that as long as the item is cold/thawing it will continue to sweat.

What is your buttercream recipe? If the icing is too soft, and doesn't hold up, then you either need to make changes to the recipe, or look for a new one. For too soft, depending on what type of icing it is, I'd say you either need to add more powder sugar or less liquid to the recipe.

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:31am
post #3 of 5

Is 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening Almost a whole bag of sugar a little vanilla and just a a drizzle of milk. Everyone loves the taste of my icing because it is not real sweet. Is their anything that will stiffen icing that will not make it really sweet. It will not crust for me at all since this summer great in the winter.

thank you so much for your time

Newbie icon_rolleyes.gif

Amber0508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amber0508 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 5

I use almost the exact same recipe and have the same problems with it holding up in this heat. I'd love suggestions! I don't use the freezer, but I worry about what happens to my cakes after delivery, i.e. that the icing is going to slide off the sides.

letika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letika Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 7:20am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber0508

I use almost the exact same recipe and have the same problems with it holding up in this heat. I'd love suggestions! I don't use the freezer, but I worry about what happens to my cakes after delivery, i.e. that the icing is going to slide off the sides.

In australia we have something called copha which is a type of vegetable shortening, but it's made from coconut oil and it's quite solid at room temperature unlike crisco. I normally substitute a quarter to half of the shortening with copha and it holds up really well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%