How To Achieve This Textured Buttercream Effect?

Decorating By spunkimo Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 7:04pm by Overambitious

spunkimo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkimo Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 8

I came across this picture online and am in LOVE with the multi-colored horizontal "ribbon" effect on this buttercream:

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/85489/gal_cake18_L.jpg

So modern and chic! Any ideas on how this is done?

7 replies
Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 8

totaly guessing here, but my guess would be a rose tip with the smaller side touching the cake. and just pipe around the cake in one BIG motion.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 8

I agree w/smashme. Start at the bottom and work up. Definately need a good turntable to get all the way around the tier in one motion. That is important because whenever one stops - even for a moment it casues a line in the icing icon_sad.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 8

I've done that cake a couple of times, but I'd definitely advise against trying it in bc. Don it with fondant ribbons. It is absolutely unrepairable in bc if it gets a ding during delivery.

One bride didn't believe me re: fondant only and contracted with someone else in town to said it could be easily done in bc. When I went to the venue two weeks after her reception to deliver a cake, the caterers were still chuckling about how bad it was.

spunkimo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkimo Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I've done that cake a couple of times, but I'd definitely advise against trying it in bc. Don it with fondant ribbons. It is absolutely unrepairable in bc if it gets a ding during delivery.

One bride didn't believe me re: fondant only and contracted with someone else in town to said it could be easily done in bc. When I went to the venue two weeks after her reception to deliver a cake, the caterers were still chuckling about how bad it was.

True, this looks like a nightmare to deliver! I'm having a hard time imagining stacking the tiers without ruining the buttercream effect at the bottom of each tier... But I guess that's what flowers are for?? Maybe a small offset and some extra buttercream at the delivery site would work in an emergency, but it does seem risky...

I might have to experiment with both. I prefer the texture and flavor of bc but fondant sounds like the more prudent route. Leah, do you just cut plain ribbons and wet the edges before wrapping them around a fondant-covered cake? What fondant recipe works best for this type of application? And would you use a crusting buttercream for the crumbcoat or no? Sorry for all the questions - I'm not very experienced with fondant, but this seems like a relatively simple design to start with, no?

Thanks!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkimo

I'm having a hard time imagining stacking the tiers without ruining the buttercream effect at the bottom of each tier...

Decorate after stacking.

jhndavid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhndavid Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 8

u can decorate like some shrubs it ill gives the look wch u r expecting

Overambitious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Overambitious Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 8

Pleats Classic Pin by RVO

Besides buttercream, you can also try with fondant. There is a tool on globalsugarart called Pleats Classic Pin by RVO

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%