How To Achieve This Textured Buttercream Effect?

Decorating By spunkimo Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 7:04pm by Overambitious

spunkimo Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 8

I came across this picture online and am in LOVE with the multi-colored horizontal "ribbon" effect on this buttercream:

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/85489/gal_cake18_L.jpg

So modern and chic! Any ideas on how this is done?

7 replies
Smashme Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 8

totaly guessing here, but my guess would be a rose tip with the smaller side touching the cake. and just pipe around the cake in one BIG motion.

kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 8

I agree w/smashme. Start at the bottom and work up. Definately need a good turntable to get all the way around the tier in one motion. That is important because whenever one stops - even for a moment it casues a line in the icing icon_sad.gif

leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 8

I've done that cake a couple of times, but I'd definitely advise against trying it in bc. Don it with fondant ribbons. It is absolutely unrepairable in bc if it gets a ding during delivery.

One bride didn't believe me re: fondant only and contracted with someone else in town to said it could be easily done in bc. When I went to the venue two weeks after her reception to deliver a cake, the caterers were still chuckling about how bad it was.

spunkimo Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I've done that cake a couple of times, but I'd definitely advise against trying it in bc. Don it with fondant ribbons. It is absolutely unrepairable in bc if it gets a ding during delivery.

One bride didn't believe me re: fondant only and contracted with someone else in town to said it could be easily done in bc. When I went to the venue two weeks after her reception to deliver a cake, the caterers were still chuckling about how bad it was.

True, this looks like a nightmare to deliver! I'm having a hard time imagining stacking the tiers without ruining the buttercream effect at the bottom of each tier... But I guess that's what flowers are for?? Maybe a small offset and some extra buttercream at the delivery site would work in an emergency, but it does seem risky...

I might have to experiment with both. I prefer the texture and flavor of bc but fondant sounds like the more prudent route. Leah, do you just cut plain ribbons and wet the edges before wrapping them around a fondant-covered cake? What fondant recipe works best for this type of application? And would you use a crusting buttercream for the crumbcoat or no? Sorry for all the questions - I'm not very experienced with fondant, but this seems like a relatively simple design to start with, no?

Thanks!

Unlimited Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkimo

I'm having a hard time imagining stacking the tiers without ruining the buttercream effect at the bottom of each tier...

Decorate after stacking.

jhndavid Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 8

u can decorate like some shrubs it ill gives the look wch u r expecting

Overambitious Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 8

Pleats Classic Pin by RVO

Besides buttercream, you can also try with fondant. There is a tool on globalsugarart called Pleats Classic Pin by RVO

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%