Fondant Is Starting To Sweat In Spots Under Cold Cake

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 8:58pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 6

I just covered my 3D Lightning Mcqqueen car cake with red fondant but I noticed in spots ..around the windows etc..the fondant is starting to get a bit shiny and sticky... icon_mad.gif but not everywhere..

Is this condensation/humidity?

I live in a very dry city almost desert so I am surprised it is doing this..It hasn't rained in weeks...and it has been hot.

My question is this....Will the shiny/condensation stop if the cake comes to room temp? or if I refridgerate it will it stop..I covered a 3D buddha yesterday and this never happened... icon_rolleyes.gif

I am concerned it will start doing this tomorrow when I take it out and I need to airbrush it red icon_eek.gif ...or I guess I don't have to but I want to..I am afraid the coloring will begin to bead if the fondant gets shiny.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 6

What's happening is what always happens when an object goes from a cooler place to a warmer place. By chance do you wear glasses? Do they fog when you go outside on a really hot day or stick your face into the open oven door to check on a cake ? The diff in temp results in condensation briefly forming on the object as it comes up to the surrounding temp. Much like dew forms on the grass in the morning at sunrise as the air warms.

Yet another reason to not put cakes in the fridge .

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 6

It will dry in a few hours, and yes, airbrushing will ruin from this! do not put the cake back in the fridge, if you HAVE TO, box it up, wrap the box well in cling wrap and let it come completely to room temp in the wrapped box tom. I am starting to tell customers NO perishable fillings for any cake that will have fondant, even fondant accents!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 6

I always refrigerate my cakes. I use real butter BC and it needs to be in there. Even with lots of fondant decor it's fine. Yes it can get shiny and yes it will dry.

Cake will not dry out if it's in the refrigerator...it's covered in Buttercream usually, or fondant or both, and therefore protected. I've never airbrushed a cake so I don't know about that. I have, however painted on buttercream that was refrigerated and even when it came to room temp it did not bleed (leopard print in my photos). You might try experimenting with a piece of fondant first with the air brush and the fridge.

I do agree with the poster that said if you're concerned about the condensation, wrap your boxed cake in plastic wrap and when time to come to room temp leave it in the box. I have not needed to do this yet, but it seems to work for many others. good luck!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, the condensation will evaporate. Perhaps just leave yourself time on airbrush day to let it dry out before you paint it.

I fridge all my cakes and we probably have a similar environment (Alaska). You'll be fine icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone..I appreciate the responses....I took it out of the fridge and will let it dry off...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%