Cake Query

Decorating By evans000 Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm by emiyeric

evans000 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hi ladies, i am just starting out so please bare with me.

I have been using wilton tins to bake my cakes and hiring them from my local cake shop when the cakes are baked the cakes seem to shrink slightly around the top (pull away from the tin) so if i cut that off to have the cake level ready for the fondant it means me having to cut around the bottom to level it off so i'm shrinking my cake by about an inch. I have tried filling it in with BC then putting the fondant on but my cake sare still not smooth as i am having to trim them all.

I only bake the one cake and that normally rises enough. Should i be baking 2 cakes then i can cut quite a lot off and still get a nice height, or am i doing something wrong.

The bottom of my cakes are lovely and have a nice sharp edge so i use that as the top of my cake but the fondant isnt laying nice as the cake is slightly lumpy, no mater how straight it is trimmed.

I know i can fondant as we used a styrofoam cake in class and my 1st attempt the fondant was lovely and smooth.

The 1st cake i ever did was out of a box and it stayed to the sides of the tin and actually risen above the tin so the edges didnt need trimming just the rounded top. Any ides ladies x

3 replies
ramie7224 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 4

If the cake is shrinking away from the pan in the oven then you are baking them too long. Shrinking after cooling will happen no matter what you do. I usually bake two cakes, level them, fill and frost. If you're torting (cutting one layer into two pieces) then they will be much thinner and the finished cake will not be as high.

KoryAK Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 4

Also, fill any gaps with buttercream (or whatever). When you get to fondanting, you should have a perfect surface to work with.

emiyeric Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 4

And realize that your Wilton tins are probably not completely straight-sided to begin with, and have a slight flare, which will only make the problem worse. I would follow the advice above, if you're going to be using the same tins, but in addition, here's something I do (even if my tins have straight sides). I freeze my cakes immediately after baking and cooling, well wrapped, at least overnight, since it does wonders for the texture. Some people don't like to freeze their cakes briefly, but I find that it also makes it much easier to carve the sides of the chilled cakes to stand perfectly straight. I'm not a wiz with the buttercream under my fondant, so it's one more thing I can do to ensure a better finish icon_smile.gif. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%