Buttercream Vs "buttercream"

Decorating By SweetpeasBakery Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 12:55am by JanH

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:45pm
post #31 of 57

I don't know if most people find it misleading. For example, I used Indy's icing for an outside birthday party, and one of the attendees asked me to make his daughter's cake with "that buttery frosting." Really? It's 100% shortening-based.

I have used allllllll kinds of icing. IMBC, Indy's, Wilton, 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening recipes, and most recently, Charlotte's icing that Leah_S uses. I really like it. It's non-crusting and designed to be shortening based but it's awesome when you sub half butter as well.

You also have to realize that the shortening you use is VERY important to the recipe. Crisco blows. Straight up-to me anyway. It's tolerable in Indy's recipe but that's about the only time I can use it. I went to a local food distributor and they only sold hi ratio in 50 lb packages. Where the hell am I going to store that much shortening? LOL. At any rate, I bought this shortening called Richtex which was in a very retro container (because it was the only shortening they sold in small containers) and when I opened it, it looked like it was retro too. Kind of yellowish. BUT, when I was beating it into the buttercream it turned bright white. It also happened to have the trans fats in it too which was good. Even the Wal Mart brand shortening in my area has no trans fats anymore. So if you can find Richtex in lieu of hi ratio I recommend that as well. Richtex is not hi ratio but it is definitely less greasy than Crisco or the store brands with no trans fats.

I personally find the Wilton butter flavoring gross and obnoxious. It's way to strong and fake tasting. I use it in VERY small amounts, like 1/4 teaspoon to a double batch of BC.

If I had a business, I'd probably buy the hi ratio in bulk because no one in this area would pay what I would charge for a butter based icing. With butter at over $4 a pound in this area it's not happening.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:53pm
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I only use a meringue based buttercreme ( note spelling) with Alpine ( high ratio ) and powdered sugar. No greasy mouth feel and cost effective , plus customers adore it. I can not afford all butter bc at my price point.

I don't get the "note the spelling" - it still says "butter", but as I understand it, there is NO butter. No matter how you make it (cream vs creme), the ingredient isn't butter.

I still think it's mis-leading to the customer. What am I missing? Do you use a butter flavoring?

I don't get it either since both spellings are correct.

"Creme" is seen more in Europe, "cream" is more commonly used in the US. Since I'm from the latter that's how I spell it, as do probably 99% of us.

BTW even butter flavoring wouldn't make it real buttercream. lol But, I'm sure you already know that.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:58pm
post #33 of 57

So what would you call buttercream made with shortening and/or margarine instead of butter?

cakestyles Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:04pm
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

So what would you call buttercream made with shortening and/or margarine instead of butter?

I'd call it frosting or icing, since that's pretty much what it is.

I wouldn't call it "shorteningcream" or "margarinecream" but I suppose you could. I think frosting or icing sounds better...don't you?

Are the words frosting or icing bad?

Margarine? Really? Huh, who knew.

What WILL you people come up with next? icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:09pm
post #35 of 57

We use the terms "frosting" and "icing" as an umbrella term, so that wouldn't work. For example, our order form asks customers to pick which type of frosting they want (buttercream or cream cheese).

I still don't see how it's misleading -- our customers know exactly what they're getting, and we readily supply an ingredients list upon request. It's not like we're advertising that our buttercream is made with real butter, that would be deceptive.

cakestyles Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:17pm
post #36 of 57

I never used the word misleading, although many others on this thread have so maybe you're not directing that comment at me.

If you ask most people what buttercream is I bet they'll tell you it's "frosting made with butter". (not cakers, average non caking folks)

So to call something with zero butter, buttercream is confusing.

Not sure if you use it, but what would you call ganache? It's sometimes used as a frosting to cover a cake but it's far from being buttercream.

I think the word buttercream has been thrown around so much on this site and others, that most people don't even know what the real thing is anymore.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:18pm
post #37 of 57
Quote:

We use the terms "frosting" and "icing" as an umbrella term, so that wouldn't work. For example, our order form asks customers to pick which type of frosting they want (buttercream or cream cheese).

I still don't see how it's misleading -- our customers know exactly what they're getting, and we readily supply an ingredients list upon request. It's not like we're advertising that our buttercream is made with real butter, that would be deceptive.

But using the word 'butter' in the title *implies* the use of butter. Why else have it in the description? It should be frosting instead IMHO.

cakestyles Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:25pm
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaGM

So for you guys who use only all-butter frostings...are you able to get them to crust? If not, what smoothing method do you use (since you can't use the Viva method or the Melvira method if it doesn't crust)? Especially for the meringue-based frostings...or do you customarily cover everything with fondant?

Yes, my ps buttercream crusts. The "crusting" factor has nothing to do with shortening vs butter but everything to do with the fat/sugar ratio.

SMBC does not crust, but I have no problem getting it smooth with a bench scraper and turntable and than a hot knife for the final finish.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:55pm
post #39 of 57

I think the whole thing is nonsense...Buttercream is a generic word for icing on the cake. This is the most ridiculous discussion I have ever seen here.

cakestyles Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:06pm
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I think the whole thing is nonsense...Buttercream is a generic word for icing on the cake. This is the most ridiculous discussion I have ever seen here.

Buttercream is not a generic word for icing on the cake.

Just because people have been calling every icing under the sun buttercream, doesn't mean they're correct.

But, I guess if people say it enough it must be true. icon_rolleyes.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:09pm
post #41 of 57
Quote:

Sorry you think this is ridiculous. That's how I feel when I hear the term buttercream used for a NO butter frosting.

tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:10pm
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

Quote:

Buttercream is not a generic word for icing on the cake.

Just because people have been calling every icing under the sun buttercream, doesn't mean they're correct.

But, I guess if people say it enough it must be true. icon_rolleyes.gif

Just becasue everybody uses it as a generic word it becomes a generic word by default. Still is the most noneseless discussion I have ever seen in my life. What does it matter if people have different opinions. Use the one you like and forget what other people do. At the end of the day it doesnt matter

tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:12pm
post #43 of 57

So if you are making a cake with vanilla extract..does it means is not a vainilla cake just because you are not using real vanilla beans?...Pls!

jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:14pm
post #44 of 57

OK, you've all convinced me. Effective immediately I will now refer to our buttercream frosting as "margarine-shortening cream". In addition, our new line of milkshakes will now be called "partially gelatinated non-dairy gum-based beverages".

icon_rolleyes.gif

cakestyles Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:20pm
post #45 of 57

Why are you being so over sensitive about this?

A lot of people say a lot of things that are not correct does that mean they're right by "default"? Come on, that's so silly.

If you don't believe me that buttercream is made with butter, here's a few links to some pretty well known sources.

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/fooddictionary/entry/?id=1607

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/buttercream

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/buttercream

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/buttercream

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/buttercream?region=us

By the way, I use vanilla beans in my vanilla cake and my own homemade vanilla bean extract.

So yes, to answer your question, my vanilla bean cake does contain REAL vanilla beans.

cakestyles Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:24pm
post #46 of 57

This is getting as touchy a subject as the scratch/mix topic.

I have to say, you guys sure are entertaining me today.

Call it whatever you want, I really couldn't care any less.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:29pm
post #47 of 57

When we were in the process of doing R&D for different recipes we were originally planning on offering three different buttercream options depending on allergies: one with dairy (butter), one dairy-free, and one dairy-free and soy-free. During taste tests the dairy-free buttercream always scored higher than the "real" buttercream, so we stuck with the dairy-free buttercream as our main buttercream.

We even experimented with lard-based buttercream, it was actually pretty good (and better than our original dairy-free/soy-free buttercream) but most of our soy-free customers were also vegan so it wasn't worth keeping that recipe around.

If you make buttercream made with real butter that's great, and if you think that's a competitive advantage for you feel free to advertise the heck out of it. Just remember that the meaning and interpretation of words like "buttercream" can vary based on location and demographics, so declaring your own interpretation of a word to be the one true definition doesn't really carry much weight.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #48 of 57
Quote:

Ah, but the epicurious definition of buttercream includes egg yolks, while the other definitions do not. Which one is correct? icon_wink.gif

tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:34pm
post #49 of 57

You call it however you want. There is no need to insult people just cause it has shortening in it and is not of the butter people's liking. People might not realize this, but yes it's an insult to other people to say your work is not good enough for my taste. My buttercream is half butter and half shortening..And yes its buttercream.

I believe in respecting people's opinions and taste. I dont go around telling people you did an ugly cake. By the same token I dont tell them what icing is best or the one they need to use. Everybody has their own opinion and tastes..We need to respect that and just leave it there.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm
post #50 of 57

Wilton's buttercream recipe calls for butter or margarine. It even tells you to omit the butter if you want a stiffer consistency.

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm
post #51 of 57

Nobody is saying that the dictionary doesnt say butter, I know this, I am talking about the common use for the word.. And it is commonly used
as icing too.

Quote:

Ah, but the epicurious definition of buttercream includes egg yolks, while the other definitions do not. Which one is correct? icon_wink.gif

cakestyles Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:42pm
post #52 of 57
Quote:

You call it however you want. There is no need to insult people just cause it has shortening in it and is not of the butter people's liking. People might not realize this, but yes it's an insult to other people to say your work is not good enough for my taste. My buttercream is half butter and half shortening..And yes its buttercream.

I believe in respecting people's opinions and taste. I dont go around telling people you did an ugly cake. By the same token I dont tell them what icing is best or the one they need to use. Everybody has their own opinion and tastes..We need to respect that and just leave it there.

If you truly feel that way why did one of your earlier posts say "all butter buttercream tastes like eating a stick of butter"?

That's insulting to those of us who also use SMBC is it not?

Pot calling the kettle black?

cakestyles Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:43pm
post #53 of 57
Quote:

I am sorry, but to me full butter buttercream is not something I eat. I feel like I am eating a bar of butter..

I guess your the only one allowed to give an opinion...sorry, I must have missed that memo. icon_rolleyes.gif

tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:46pm
post #54 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

If you truly feel that way why did one of your earlier posts say "SMBC tastes like eating a stick of butter"?

That's insulting to those of us who also use SMBC is it not?

Pot calling the kettle black?

Cause I have seen this discussion too many times and to be quite honest I dont get it. I been in this business for a long time. I respect everybody's tastes for what they like, I dont like butter based buttercreams. That's not an insult to anybody..But somebody saying to me that becasue someone uses shortening in ther buttercream they are wrong to call it buttercream, that is a blunt insult to this persons work. Is not about personal tastes.

Completely different thing to say I wont eat it to insult someone else by saying what you make is no good

tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:48pm
post #55 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

I am sorry, but to me full butter buttercream is not something I eat. I feel like I am eating a bar of butter..

I guess your the only one allowed to give an opinion...sorry, I must have missed that memo. icon_rolleyes.gif

And that my friend is my personal opinion, I never insulted your choice.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:48pm
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I only use a meringue based buttercreme ( note spelling) with Alpine ( high ratio ) and powdered sugar. No greasy mouth feel and cost effective , plus customers adore it. I can not afford all butter bc at my price point.

I don't get the "note the spelling" - it still says "butter", but as I understand it, there is NO butter. No matter how you make it (cream vs creme), the ingredient isn't butter.

I still think it's mis-leading to the customer. What am I missing? Do you use a butter flavoring?

American buttercreams were originally made with all butter but the decorations didn't hold up well in all temperature conditions especially for intricate designs.

So shortening (and hi-ratio shortening specifically formulated for cake/icing or icing) were introduced to make the frosting more stable. The increased stability of the resulting product allowed for more intricate decorating without losing the detail due to melting issues.

As a result, (American) buttercream can indicate the original (all butter buttercream) or the modern evolved (butter/shortening or all shortening) buttercream.

And frosting/icing/buttercream are practically generic terms for most customers indicating the whipped/crusting/non-crusting/meringue cake covering of their preference. (Just like "sheet cake" to a customer can mean anything from a 7x11 to 14x22.)

As long as your customers like what you're offering, isn't that really all that matters. thumbs_up.gif

And if you like your American buttercream made with all butter/some butter/no butter/all shortening or any combination - whatever works for YOUR style of decorating, it's all good! icon_biggrin.gif

If you'd like to try the more stable shortening based American buttercreams, but are afraid of the sometimes greasy mouthfeel, it can be eliminated by using a high-ratio shortening. (Or finding a better AP shortening based recipe.)

And as to misleading advertising; I'd be the first to offer up "dairy-free" (which in actually means lactose-free, as most dairy-free products contain caseine which is a milk protein).

HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:55am
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

We are all supposed to be here to talk politely about cake, support each other, and lend a helping hand.

[If you don't agree with someone, by all means.... disagree, but do it respectfully.

If someone asks for your constructive criticism, then give it... constructively.

If you find yourself unable to write a post, PM, or response in a constructive, encouraging or supportive way then you need to walk away.

Remember, this community is based on values of caring, and generosity of spirit.

Focus on what you share in common, learn from what makes you different, support each other through struggles, and celebrate each others' success.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661107-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%