Poured Sugar Never Set? What The Heck...

Sugar Work By vlk Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 6:55pm by casp22

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 6

Help! I made some poured sugar bottles yesterday, my last batch never set. Its been sitting all night and still "sticky" -

#1 what did I do wrong? Did I not heat the sugar enough -
#2 How the heck do I get it out of the mold? I mean its really in there.. don't want to throw my mold out! but its a STICKY mess -

TIA

Vicki

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 6

Either the sugar wasn't cooked to the right temp or you're working in very humid conditions. Sugar work in the summer is a real challenge.

Peel as much as you can out of your mold, then let it soak in hot water. (You could also use cold water, but that would take longer.) The water will dissolve the sugar.

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you ! I just got back and its still "sticky" - I will try to clean up the mold the best I can and soak - You're right.. probably did not get the temp right - I had made about 4 bottles and it was my last one and it was late... lesson learned!

THANKS !

Vicki

casp22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casp22 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 6

I am making a beach cake and tried my hand at using sugar to make pieces of coral. The first try I know I did not let it get hot enough. The second try is better but still sticky even letting it sit over night.

Any suggestions on how it keep it from being sticky or is it just the summer in the south?

May try the chocolate melt method I have been reading about.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 6

Actually, letting it sit overnight will make it MORE sticky if precautions aren't taken. The sugar sucks up the humidity in the air like a sponge.

Get yourself some dessicant packets or some Damp Rid. Place in an airtight container with your sugar pieces.

Wait until the absolute last minute to place the sugar pieces on your cake.

And, for the love of all that's sweet, DO NOT REFRIGERATE!!

casp22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casp22 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you very much. Will get some Damp Rid this afternoon and put them in a container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%