Need Help With Dr. Suess Cake

Decorating By SPODN Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 3:24pm by SPODN

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, I sure could use some help. I'm planning a cake for my nephew's graduation. I've chosen Dr. Suess "The Places You'll Go" for my theme. I want to make the top layer look like the cover of the book. I'm going to try to attach a picture of the cover. Based on a comment I saw on on mrsmudrash's blog about the weight of her spout on her teapot cake I've decided that I need to find a way to make the top part hollow. It looks alot like a long neck bottle to me but the bottle would be very straight and I believe this should be crooked. Any suggestion on how I can do this.

9 replies
SPODN Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 10

I was not successful in attaching the photo to this post but the picture of what i want to put on the cake is in my photos. I've tried a number of time to add an attachment, don't know what I'm doing wrong.

SPODN Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 10

Well the picture isn't in my phots anymore, I didn't realize I'm not supposed to put anything but cake photos in my photos. I don't know how to show it. I guess I'm on my own

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 10

I looked up the picture of the book and I think you could use something hollow as the base (PVC, a bottle, or some other stiff tube) and put it on at an angle. Then you could use your fondant or gumpaste to create a "crooked" look. Just apply the fondant thicker and thinner in parts to give the illusion that it's not straight. HTH

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 10

I looked up the cover also, and it seems like a funnel shape to me. Maybe you could use an inexpensive plastic funnel and put a wedge under one end to give it the leaning look you want. Cover the whole thing (wedge and all) in fondant.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 10

The funnel is a great idea!

SPODN Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:21am
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone, for all your input. After staring at that picture all day I kept thinking "Wine Bottle" but wine bottles are glass. today in the grocery a bottle shaped just like a wine bottle , Perrier water. I think this could work. Wish me luck people. I want to do the top layer like the cover on the book then the center layer I'm planning to cover with a blue fondant and print some of the pictures from the book on icing paper at glue them on the fondant. Then for the bottom layer there is another page with a multicolor design, squares I think I'k like to use that on the bottom layer. Don't know if I can do it but I'd like to have a balloon in flight with Dan (my nephew) hanging on. That might be pushing my luck madhatter.gif Hope I haven't taken on too much, this will only be my second fondant cake.

SPODN Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:37am
post #8 of 10

Okey I got the bottle shaped just right now what should I do with it. Should I cover it with foil or saran wrat or something? Do I let the fondant dry and remove the plastic bottle.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 10

I don't know that you should take the bottle out. If the 'tube' is hollow it will be more likely to sink, fold, or change shape. Even if you dried it, I'd be worried about it not having any support inside. You can put a thin layer of BC or royal on the bottle so that the fondant has something to stick to.

SPODN Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you very much, I'll let you know how I make out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%