My 15 Minutes Of Fame- Cottage Food Law Article.

Decorating By VanillaCoke Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 6:32pm by emrldsky

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 9

Last week a lady from the Press called me and asked me what I thought about the CFL- I sort of answered her off the cuff, and before I knew it they were asking to send a photographer over! It was fun, the article seems a little biased, but informative. They only creatively edited ONE thing I said, which was a relief. (This line- "But I know there are people out there trying to make a living and, for them, I dont think thats enough to live on. - AND then I said "so they should probably just get licensed." - because I don't really think the CFL's should be for big time businesses. ) IMO icon_smile.gif

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/07/home-based_businesses_benefit.html

8 replies
crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 9

Very cool! I'm a West Michigan girl too so it's nice to see some press given to us Cottage Food bakers. icon_smile.gif

RussellsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RussellsCakes Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 9

The same thing is happening here in Texas. Our Cottage Food Bill was passed this year. All of the press for the most part is biased towards the "negative" side of it.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 9

CFL- Canadian Football League... lol lol icon_redface.gif
that's the first thing I thought! icon_confused.gif
Good interview!
Jodi icon_smile.gif

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 9

Awesome article! I am located in Jackson and my local paper also did a story on my new business about a week ago. I like it that MI seems to be giving some good press and trying to get the word out about cottage food industry. Awesome website by the way Kimberly!

-Skye

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 9

Yeeeeeah, I just realized I used the word "awesome" twice in that last post. Too much coffee this morning! 

-Skye

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellsCakes

The same thing is happening here in Texas. Our Cottage Food Bill was passed this year. All of the press for the most part is biased towards the "negative" side of it.

I actually disagree, aside from the last couple of turkeys, our press has been wonderful. icon_smile.gif

http://texascottagefoodlaw.com/Facts/Media.aspx

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 9

It seemed to me like the article was pushing for raising the income cap, and pointing out the limitations of the law. I think the law is very fair, and the income cap seems reasonable to me. I was frankly surprised at how little the journalist actually knew about the licensing/CFL issue. I guess I can't expect them to research everything they do- but I could have told her something off the wall and I think she would have printed it >icon_smile.gif.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke

It seemed to me like the article was pushing for raising the income cap, and pointing out the limitations of the law. I think the law is very fair, and the income cap seems reasonable to me. I was frankly surprised at how little the journalist actually knew about the licensing/CFL issue. I guess I can't expect them to research everything they do- but I could have told her something off the wall and I think she would have printed it >icon_smile.gif.

Because I write for a living (not for a paper but for a University), I gotta say that often journalists are given a very short timeframe for getting an article written. She might not have had TIME to research things. The only time a journalist is given more than a few hours, or even a day, for an assignment is if getting the information wrong in any way could harm the paper or news outlet. As long as she got the gist correct, that's all her editor wanted.

Beyond that, I liked the article. I don't feel it was biased, but showed more than one story. It was more human interest than "nail the home baker to the wall!" that I've seen from other states and counties.

And I thought your comments were lovely. You weren't trying to say that your way was the best way, nor did you put anyone down for doing things differently. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%