Helping Another Cake Business

Business By imanah Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 10:59am by costumeczar

imanah Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 6:35am
post #1 of 7

I have my own cake bizz out of my home. Another cake decorator in my area wants my services to help her with an order.

I am hesitant to help another business in the same catagory as me. I feel like I am subcontracting myself.

What would any of you do?

6 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 6:50am
post #2 of 7

There's a group of decorators in my area that belong to a cake club. We'll help each other out if needed--someone gets sick, an oven goes out, an accidental overbooking, etc.

That said, it can be done several of ways:

She can transfer the entire order to you, including the full payment--as long as you're happy with ALL of the arrangement and so is the customer.

She can ask the client to contact you to see if you 2 can work it out.

She can ask you to do some part of it and offer you X or you can ask for Y.

You can do it as a favor and expect a favor in return.

It probably depends on what exactly she wants you to do & if it works for you.

costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 7

Does she just want you to do some of the order or the whole thing? If it's the whole thing I'd tell her sure but you have to get the customer's info to make sure it's okay with them and work out any details. If it's just part of it I'd be reluctant to help, but it would depend on what she wanted me to do. Also, would she be taking credit for the whole thing? Then no way.

JoanieB Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:49am
post #4 of 7

This is an excellent question. I was very curious how this works. I just happened to be at Lowe's one day waiting in line to have a cake board cut right behind the husband of a well known cake shop owner in my area. He just started talking to me (probably to try and drum up some business) and mentioned he was there to have a cake board cut. I said, "that's funny, so am I".

He then asked for my card since I work out of my home under the cottage foods act. "I also have a business license for my decorating business out of my home." Well, he starts asking about my volume and I'm pretty vague about the whole thing and he hands me his wife's card and tells me to call them if I ever get more then I can handle.

In my head I'm thinking, "I just started out, I wish I had more business then I could handle". I was thinking he'd be interested in asking for MY help since they're always busy. Then it made me think if cake shops do this regularly and ask other decorators to fulfill orders and such and how the pay/credit for the LOL.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:13am
post #5 of 7

I agree it depends on what exactly she expects you to do. One of the other cake businesses in town sends us jobs that they can't take from time to time, but it's more of a referral where they just tell the client to call us and we take it from there. Then it's completely our job.

We do the same for them if we get a call for a job we can't take for whatever reason. It's great to have this kind of relationship with other cake businesses in your area!

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:26am
post #6 of 7

It is funny......I had an area "pro" ask to exchange cards and suggest that maybe we could "work together some time"..........

I gave her my card, but walked away shaking my head because I do all of my cakes as donations to a charity or for a donation to a charity.......she runs a very expensive boutique shop icon_confused.gif

I certainly didn't give off any vibes that I wanted to work FOR her and I doubt that she'd want to give up income to help ME out.............

All I could think of was that I'd just won a decorating competition and beat her in a tasting competition--so if we "worked together", she might be able to get a better read on me? Lean something new for "free"?

I guess some people are always thinking of an angle and acting the salesman, even when it's obvious that they're barking up the wrong tree--LOL

costumeczar Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 10:59am
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by JoanieB

. Then it made me think if cake shops do this regularly and ask other decorators to fulfill orders and such and how the pay/credit for the LOL.

They don't do this regularly. If I can't do a cake I'll refer it to someone, but I rarely get asked to work with another baker on a project. If I did it would only be to sell them something like isomlat jewels or something else they can't make themselves.

Most cake businesses around here are so secretive they wouldn't want me in their kitchens. We refer out to each other but to get all chummy and work together isn't going to happen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%