Bakers Basics Needs

Decorating By cupsncake Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 12:41am by smbegg

cupsncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncake Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:59am
post #1 of 7

hey everyone,
im new to this site as well as sorta new to the whole cake/cupcake/ baking and decorating world ... i just had a newbie baker question :
what are the essentials for starting out ??? ( pans, tips, tools etc )
im speaking in the terms of decorating equipment what are the basic tools one would need to start out??
is it worth it to buy a kit ?
thanks for your time
cant wait to dive in and suggestions or tip will be greatly apprecaited
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Happy Baking

6 replies
sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, Welcome to Cake Central. I know you will find everything you want to know here.
When I first started I only had two rectangle pans; 1 9x13x2 and 1 12x18x2. I would make 1 and two layers according to what a person needed in the amount of servings.
I also just had a few tips:
#3,12.16,21,104,103,4 and tip #129 and tip#67 and a leaf tip I think is #352 or 349. Cake decorating was not the big thing that it is now but I baked quite a few cakes with these pans. You will also probably like to get 2 8''x2'' round pans. I would suggest buying other pans as you might need them. I have never been a fan of prepackaged tips because you will probably get a lot of tips you won't ever use. I find it better to have duplicates.
Good luck. you can send me a private message if you have any questions.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 7

Welcome to CC!

A few pastry bags - (I like the larger 14" and 16")
A turntable (or lazy susan for "on the cheap")
Silicone rolling pin
A nice off-set spatula - a small one and a larger one (approx. 3" and 8")
A straight "bench scrapper". Though this intended to scrape the bench, it works perfectly for smoothing the entire side of a cake.
A cake decorating comb - especially useful for "newbies" who struggle to get icing smooth.

Enjoy your baking!!

cupsncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncake Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 7

thanks you guys !!!! when buying pans is it better to invest get some good quality ones or because im a newbie i should just buy cheaper ones ?

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #5 of 7

You might want to purchase slightly used pans in the beginning (check Craigslist) or inexpensive pans. If you use parchment paper and a spray you won't have trouble removing the cake despite the quality of the pan.

That reminds me: parchment paper! (Makes your life so much easier)
An oven thermometer to make sure your oven is at the right temperature is useful.
A good, sturdy mixer - again, check Craigslist because often brides get more than one and you'll get an excellent price.
Good quality bowl scrapers too.

MommyLovesChocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyLovesChocolate Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:28am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for asking cupsncake! I just started out and I'm trying very hard not to buy too many toys right off the bat. I've been buying the Parrish cake pans a couple at a time, off Amazon. Their prices aren't too bad and there's that free shipping if you spend $25 icon_biggrin.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:41am
post #7 of 7

All I can say is use michaels and hobby lobby coupons! I started out with the Wilton round pan set. Don't get the nesting ones as they have slanted sides.

Also, start out with straight edge 9X13 and 11X18 pans. The wilton ones are slanted and have rounded corners. Invest in the good ones.

Flower nails are essential to getting even baked layers.

Also get a GOOD turn table. The plastic wilton ones are wobbly.

Foam rollers are great to get buttercream smooth.

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%