Fondant Flowers In Refrigerator? Need Advice

Decorating By DianaC31 Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 7:16pm by tonedna

DianaC31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaC31 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 4

My friend wants me to make a castle cake using the Wilton kit. It will have to be done a day early since I am leaving for vacation the day of the party. I intend to decorate the cake in buttercream with small fondant flowers. If I let the flowers dry very well before putting them on will the decorations handle being refrigerated for 24 hours before the party? Don't want the flowers wilting, softening up, sliding off, etc when taken out for the event.

3 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 4

Why do you need to place the cake in the fridge? Does it have fillings that spoil?
Edna

DianaC31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaC31 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 4

Edna - let me first say that someone recently introduced me to you work and videos - awesome! I FINALLY iced a cake last weekend that was pretty darn smooth! Not quite perfect, but now I know what to practice! Oh and I don't have to fight my tappits anymore! Thank you, thank you, thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Guess I do not need to refrigerate it...was just thinking in this hot weather might get soft. Not sure about transporting it. Maybe I could chill, decorate, and deliver to restaurant the day before? That way they only have to move it into another room instead of driving it? I think I am overly scared of transporting cakes icon_redface.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Dianca! I am glad it helped!!! Icing a cake will get easier the more you do it. I promise!
Do the flowers a week before if you can so they dry well. As long as the cake is in a cool AC area and the fillings dont spoil, it should be ok out of the fridge.
Driving a cake is not difficult. Make sure car is cooled down, dont leave the cake in a hot car.
Make sure the cake is straight at all times. Even when you carry it.
If you are not comfortable doing that yet, then stack at the venue.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%