Bulges- 2 Different Problems.

Decorating By KakesbyKris Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 10:28pm by CWR41

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 7

I use the WASC recipes. Live at high altitude. Low to no humidity here. I do freeze my cakes. I fill my cakes and let settle overnight before decorating. I do use a dam.

So here is the problem err problems.
First when I cover in fondant, I get the dreaded bulge. Sometimes just on one side but usually everywhere even though I wait overnight to after filling. I have tried rolling the fondant thinner to the point that it tears VERY easily.

When I cover in BC, after a while these bulges start toward the bottom of the cake usually just under the filling. Air pockets! Sometimes I can poke them with a toothpick and smooth them out, but another one seems to develop during delivery.

I really can't seem to figure out what is going on and the issues have gotten worse since the weather turned hot.

I am at my whits end and can't think of anything else to try. ANy help is always appreciated! TIA

6 replies
katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 7

i am fairly new to decorating but i have had luck so far in this department. you say you let your cakes settle over night, are you putting them in the refridgerator? I put mine in the fridge to settle and also for awhile after i crumb coat just to be sure everything is nice and stiff for the fondant. Also, do you think maybe the consistency of the wasc is thick enough? try using a thicker consistency and this might help with the dam and making sure the filling is staying in its place. good luck!

katie icon_smile.gif

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 7

I just started using ganache under my fondant...and it is amazing!!! The ganache fills in all the holes, forms a smooth shell, and no more bulges!!! I'm telling you, thank goodness for all the wonderful cc'ers...I almost gave up altogether!!!

These links are so helpful!!!

http://www.artandappetite.com/.....ttercream/

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreat.....nache.html

HTH

KakesbyKris Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 7

Katie- the WASC refers to the white almond sour cream cake recipes. For the dam I use very stiff BC and yes I do refridgerate my cakes.

Schyler- I have been trying to get with the ganaching but am having trouble. One convincing customers about fondant let alone ganache and two getting recipes right. I will look at those sites. Thank you!!

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 7

Got it! For me, I only cover in fondant (I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF or I purchase fondarific) and everyone usually loves the taste of the MMF, if not, I go with the fondarific (not too expensive on amazon). As for the ganache, I don't even tell them it's there. If they want a cake with buttercream, I simply fill the cake with buttercream. If they don't want the fondant, they peel it off and the ganache comes off with it!

Hope someone else will be able to help!

KakesbyKris Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 7

For outdoor events I highly encourage fondant but will the ganache melt under the fondant and then everything starts drooping.

Thank you for all your help. icon_biggrin.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 7

Cakes don't settle while refrigerated... they have to be at room temperature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%