Comm. Convection Ovens...suddenly An Issue

Business By Mrs_O Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 11:23pm by RussellsCakes

Mrs_O Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all. I run 4 vulcan comm. convection ovens in my bakery. I make my french vanilla cake (and a few others) as a modified box mix. All of a sudden, my french vanilla (and only that flavor) cakes are coming out with a dry top. The cake is still very moist and yummy but the thinnest layer on top looks like a dry cracked desert! Tryed changing the temp around and it is still doing it. Any suggestions?

ps. used to bake on 325. changed up to 350 and down to 300. still doing it. Boxed mixes are in date and nothing else has changed.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 5

Any chance you're using Duncan Hines???

I noticed that a few weeks ago when I made French Vanilla cakes using those mixes as my WASC base. Once I leveled the cakes, everything was just great, but the tops were definitely "different".

I bake in an electric home oven at 325F with flower nails as heating cores.

Mrs_O Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 5

yes i use DH! have they changed something?

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 5

I honestly don't know if they've changed anything.

With all the crazy new anti-this and anti-that in various parts of the country, who knows?

Like I said, I found the cake to be beautiful under the "crust".

I'd be upset if I hadn't had to level it, though, because I'd have had no idea how the crust would have worked left on the cake. It would have been on the bottom, and probably no problem, but I don't like surprises, either icon_confused.gif

RussellsCakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 5

If it is only the top "crust" of the cake, I wouldn't worry about it or be alarmed. I level all of my cakes even if it is just a tiny amount, so that I know for a fact I have a level surface. If the cake under the crust is just fine, you shouldn't have an issue

Quote by @%username% on %date%