A Jar Of Morello Cherries...scratch Recipe?

Baking By idontknow Updated 6 Apr 2013 , 4:02pm by AnnieCahill

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 9

i picked up a jar of dark pitted cherries in syrup as I'd love to make a cherry cake. does anyone have a good recipe that calls for morello cherries?

I also found a sour cherry syrup, how could I use that? maybe in the buttercream for the cherry cake, or are the two cherry tastes different?

8 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 9

If you can get your hands on a copy of The Chocolate Bible, it has a wonderful recipe for a black forest cake that calls for morello cherries.

idontknow Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 9

thanks for the tip - i looked it up and i think it's a black forest type cake which uses the cherries in between layers, right? I was looking for a recipe that baked the cherries instead?

idontknow Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:53am
post #4 of 9

in case anybody is interested... I experimented this weekend and used a WASC scratch base, using whole eggs, and subbed the vanilla flavouring and some milk for the cherry sauce, and kept the almond flavouring so it would have a cherry almond flavour.

I also drained the morello cherries and stuck them in the freezer for about 15 mins so I could mix them in at the end without mushing them up too much. It turned out lovely, the flavouring was very subtle, and the whole cherries gave an added bite of sourness in the cake. I made a cherry SMBC by using the cherry sauce to flavour. definitely a keeper.

hammerquill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammerquill Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 5:27am
post #5 of 9

Is that The Chocolate Bible by Christian Teubner or the much older Chocolate Bible by Adrianne Marcus?

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 6:57am
post #6 of 9

AThanks idontknow, that cherry cake sound delish, I will definitely have a go at making this, and thanks for the tip of putting the cherries in the freezer first.:)

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 6:58am
post #7 of 9

AOMG sorry have just seen how old this thread is!!!

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 9

AIve used frozen sweet cherries that i bought from the freezer section. I used a strawberry cupcake recipe from penniesonaplatter.com. I subed the srawberry puree in the recipe for the sweet cherries (I ran thru a food processer while partialy frozen-making sure I left some larger chunks of cherries) I also added a little bit of Loranns cherry. I also folded in 3 oz. Of mini chocolate chips. They were to die for. Tasted like cherry garcia ice cream. I iced the cupcakes with a SMBC ( with folded in cherry puree) I also filled some of the cupcakes with whipped ganache.......yummy!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 9

If you are trying to make a black forest cake, the best thing to do is get canned sour cherries (not maraschino), and make a reduction out of the liquid in the jar.  Cut up the cherries and fold them into your whipped cream (black forest is traditionally filled with cherries and whipped cream).  On the stove, add either some kirschwasser or PURE cherry extract (can get it from Olive Nation) and use that to brush the cake.  I personally would not use the WASC if someone is expecting a traditional black forest, because it's generally made with a chocolate genoise which is very light and designed to soak up a lot of liquid.  But if someone likes a denser cake, then you can use the WASC and still fill it with whipped cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%