Waves

Decorating By Transformergirl Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 12:44am by mommynana

Transformergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Transformergirl Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 5

One of my favorite decorating tricks is to makes ocean waves for beach or surfing cakes.

You will need:

1. A cake (obviously)
2. Airbrush gun or color spray can (your choice of blue. I find Hawaiian blue looks best)
3. A bag of white icing.
4. A spatula. I find a smaller one works better.
5. Open star tips like a 22 or 32, any tip that makes nice ridges. You can experiment yourself to find a tip that gives you the kind of effect you want, I just find star tips work best for me. The larger the tip, the larger the waves...

First, decide which direction you want the waves to go. Long ways, across the length of the cake or up the width, or even at a diagonal. Then place your iced cake in a comfortable position for you to pipe on the first ridge. You'll start your pipping as if you were making a corkscrew border. Slowly go along the top in a slow S shape, mimicking the way water pulls up onto the beach, not just in a straight line. The sharper and more numerous the curves in your ridge, the more dramatic the wave will look.

Ok, first ridge is on. Now, take your spatula and very carefully place the tip of it onto the top center of the ridge and carefully pull down, dragging the icing. Once you have done this across the the cake, take your airbrush or color spray and spray a line of color below the top of the ridge, leaving about an inch of white between the top of the ridge and the line of color. By leaving the tip white, it gives the illusion of sea foam.

Repeat this process a few more times until you have covered the cake. The size of your cake and how big you want the waves will determine the number of times you will repeat this process.

The final result:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2092488

It's a deceptively simple but very neat trick that always pleases at the Bakery.

4 replies
CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 5

Neat, Thanks for Sharing!! thumbs_up.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 5

Wow, your waves are perfect. And you're right, it is deceptively simple. Thank you very much!!!

QueenBof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBof3 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:21am
post #4 of 5

icon_smile.gif Aha! Thank you for this.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:44am
post #5 of 5

Wow ! Your cake looks great thumbs_up.gif Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%