Putting Fondant Covered Cake In The Fridge?

Decorating By TLCDesserts Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 8:08am by TLCDesserts

TLCDesserts Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 14

I have a cake due on Saturday. I am planning on having a photographer take pictures of the cake Friday night. Can I put the cake in the fridge covered in fondant? Or will this mess it up? I will be using Satin Ice fondant and a decorator's cream cheese frosting for the crumb coat. Please help I don't want to mess this cake up. Thank you in advance! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
cakesrock Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 14

I find the fridge dries it out and Satin ice is especially sensitive to dryness (I live in a very dry place and don't even use it, as I have to keep it covered all the time while I'm working with it). Fondant can sweat (bead) in the fridge when you pull it out, but I haven't had it be an issue. If I have perishables and need to put the cake in the fridge, I just ensure I have enough time for it to dry off (it may get a bit tacky to the touch).
If you have nothing perishable on the cake, leave it on the counter. I do that for 2-3 days. HTH!

leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 14

Unless you have used perishable fillings in the cake (which is generally a bad idea anyway) there's NO reason to put a cake in the fridge.

TLCDesserts Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 14

I'm just doing the cream cheese frosting and it will also be the filling. Wouldn't that be perishable? Would it be better to do buttercream?

cakesrock Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCDesserts

I'm just doing the cream cheese frosting and it will also be the filling. Wouldn't that be perishable? Would it be better to do
buttercream?

There's a recipe for a non-perishable cr ch frosting in recipes. Never made it myself, but I hear it is good!

kathie-d Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 14

I wouldn't use cream cheese as a crumb coat....only as the filling. Unless your's is different using cream cheese as a crumb coat is a bad idea.

jlcalvert Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie-d

I wouldn't use cream cheese as a crumb coat....only as the filling. Unless your's is different using cream cheese as a crumb coat is a bad idea.

Why?

kathie-d Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 14

My experience has been that once the cream cheese warms up then the fondat just kind of melts off...the cream cheese isn't firm enough to hold the fondant. Just my experience...maybe there are different recipes that hold up better.

cakesrock Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:

My experience has been that once the cream cheese warms up then the fondat just kind of melts off...the cream cheese isn't firm enough to hold the fondant. Just my experience...maybe there are different recipes that hold up better.

It's not the best crumb coat, but I've successfully used it. However, if you want the taste of cream cheese and the texture of BC, then use that non perishable decorator's cream cheese in recipes.

robbemorka Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 14

fondant melts because it is made of sugar. if you have a filling/crumbcoat with a high percentage of water in it (cream, fruitfillings) it is going to melt. because water melts sugar.

so for creamcheese frosting it will depend on the ratio of creamcheese and butter. more butter-> less creamcheese->less water->less melting fondant. icon_smile.gif

jlcalvert Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:

I new to cake decorating as well. Thanks for the response!!!

BC0101 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 14

I live in a very dry/hot area and always put my cakes in the fridge. I have never had a problem and they have never sweat.

robbemorka Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:00pm
post #13 of 14

if you are living in a dry area, of course the cake should'nt sweat. condensation comes from humidity in the air. melting fondant because of the filling.

TLCDesserts Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:08am
post #14 of 14

Thank you all for the input. I'm not going to put it in the fridge. I think the decorator's cream cheese frosting will hold up nicely. Hopefully, I won't be posting in the cake disaster's gallery on here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%