How To Price For A Cake With No Decorations

Business By lisascakes Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 10:31pm by lisascakes

lisascakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:19am
post #1 of 10

Hi guys,

I have a customer requesting a 9x13 sheet cake - iced & border only - she bought edible image to put on cake. I know she will not be trying to pass off as she baked it cause - she is the first to admit she can't bake. She orders cakes for both of her daughters bdays.

So do you give a discount if they want to add their own edible image?

9 replies
kathie-d Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:41am
post #2 of 10

My base price for regular cakes is $4/ serving...but for kitchen cakes or any simple sheet I charge $2/ serving. According to Wilton 9x13 serves 50...That's $100. But it depends on where you are and what do you normally charge?

RussellsCakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 10

I've got a $35 minimum. that covers most any smaller BASIC cake. If you haven't created a pricing schedule. Now is the time to do so. Decide what your base rate is, per cake. Then stick to it! This way you know if someone asks for a 1/4 sheet, or 1/2 sheet, or x" round cake, you know off the top of your head what your base pricing is.

lisascakes Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the input. I do have prices for decorated cakes - just never had anyone ask for one undecorated.

jenscreativity Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:13am
post #5 of 10

I got the same request several weeks ago! $2 a slice recommended at least...unless cake flavorings are specialties like out of the ordinary flavors..

Love this kind of order and that was my first too!

Enjoy!

tokazodo Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:19am
post #6 of 10

I think that's a tough question.

Did it cost you any less to make the cake?

Recently, I had a wedding planner order a cake for a bride. Then the planner said, "She doesn't want any decorations on the cake, she wants to decorate it herself." (what ever trips your trigger!)
The bride had purchased her own silk or fresh flowers. (I never did see the end result)

I didn't reduce my price at all. It was a small wedding cake. It took me the same amount of time to bake it, stack it and ice it. I had to use the same amount of ingredients except maybe one or two cups less buttercream icing.

Just sayin....

costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:46am
post #7 of 10

Yeah, I wouldn't charge less either. The plain cakes are harder to get perfect than decorated ones!

QTCakes1 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 10

[quote="tokazodo"]
Recently, I had a wedding planner order a cake for a bride. Then the planner said, "She doesn't want any decorations on the cake, she wants to decorate it herself." (what ever trips your trigger!)
The bride had purchased her own silk or fresh flowers. (I never did see the end result)

quote]

The bride probably read that in a stupid magazine to save moeny, cause I read an article that said,"Save money on your cake and order it plain, then decorate it yourself with fresh flowers. You'll save a TON of money". I thought it was a lame suggestion, cause you still have to charge your base price.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 10

We charge the same price for a cake with basic decorations (flowers or balloons with a border and writing) as we do for a cake with a border only and no decorations.

lisascakes Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:31pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone for your input!! It is greatly appreciated. I will be charging her the same price!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%