How To Price A Cake?

Decorating By lainagrace2 Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 5:10am by JanH

lainagrace2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:40am
post #1 of 2

Hi! I was hoping some of you may be able to give me some advice - I'm fairly new to cake decorating (a little over a year) but I'm so busy with orders from friend/family/previous customer referrals that I haven't had a lot of time to figure out the business portion of my business.

Since I have a 40 hour a week day job, and my husband and I have 4 kids, this sometimes causes problems when I spend another 20 to 40 hours a week working on cakes and don't charge enough (according to my husband) or too much (according to some customers.)

I have a really, really hard time figuring out what to charge people, and when asked for a quote and feel under pressure, I usually end up selling the cake for what it costs me to make - and sometimes, even less.

Case in point: I'm making a poker table groom's cake next weekend for a fairly big wedding... my price? $100... Really?? I still can't believe I did that. The bride is an acquaintance of mine though, so I'm cutting my losses and sticking to my original quote.

However, I was asked this week to quote a Dodge Durango cake with custom wheels for a groom's cake in October. I have no clue where to even begin. My best estimate is that it will cost me in the $100 range to make it, because of some of the customizations that have been requested, but I don't even know where to begin when it comes to estimating my time.

Can any of you please offer some advice on this cake and also on how to stop selling myself short? I'm no Bronwyn Weber, and I can see a lot of imperfections in my cakes - but I must be doing something right because I'm booked for cakes almost every week months in advance - so I'd really like to start making some money at it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and God bless! icon_smile.gif

1 reply

Quote by @%username% on %date%