Plastic Or Wood Dowels???

Decorating By ngandara Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 3:16am by ngandara

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a baby shower cake. I am using 6 and 8 inch pans. I also have 2 different types of dowels (wood and plastic) any recommendations for which ones will work better??? The cake will be traveling.

8 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 9

I use the wilton plastic ones! The wooden ones made several cakes collapse icon_sad.gif They turned sideways and fell over in the cake because my cake is so soft!! The hollow plastic ones are much more stable!

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 9

I have never used plastic dowels, but I just finished a 3 teir wedding cake of 12, 8 and 6 in tiers, and I used wooden dowells. It traveled approx. 20 miles with no problems

soapy_hopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soapy_hopie Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 9

i always use the plastic ones....but i suppose it is just personal preference

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 9

Wooden since plastic take out a lot of cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:00am
post #6 of 9

Plastic, but SPS plastic. ANY hollow dowel will be much more stable than a wooden dowel.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:31am
post #7 of 9

I really like using the plastic dowels, and most of my cakes have to travel a far distance seeing as I live in a small rural area. They're also easier to cut to the proper height of each cake tier. I have also had one cake collapse from wooden dowels icon_sad.gif I was mortified...

Cargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargal Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:55am
post #8 of 9

I'm also in the wooden dowel - cake collapse club. I'll never use them again to support a traveling cake.

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:16am
post #9 of 9

Thank you sooooo much for all the input! I do have plastic dowels so I will be using those : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%