Need A Good Chocolate Icing Recipe?

Baking By ame120103 Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 10:02pm by TexasSugar

ame120103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ame120103 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 11

I am in need of a good chocolate buttercream recipe. I have gone through the recipies on here and tried a few but haven't found one that I like. I'm not a huge fan of the flavor that comes from using cocoa powder but all I get when I use melted chocolate is fudge. Thanks in advance for any input and ideas.

10 replies
Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 11

I have one I love that uses cocoa, but it does taste like fudge - sounds like that's not what you're looking for though. Lmk though and I'll find it and post if you're interested.

ame120103 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 11

Yes I would love to try it out, Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 5:51am
post #4 of 11

I love the toll house cocoa frosting recipe. I like it so much more than the hersheys cocoa recipe or maybe its the cocoa that makes the difference. I have gotten many compliments.

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 6:54am
post #5 of 11

There is nothing better then whipped ganache!

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:02am
post #6 of 11

Here's the recipe I use. It's an entirely standard BC base with an addition of melted Baker's chocolate.

Ingredients 
1 stick butter (unsalted) 
1 stick butter (salted) 
1 cup shortening 
2lb bag of confectioners sugar 
3 teaspoons vanilla extract 
5-6 tablespoons of milk (cold) 
2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate

Instructions 
Melt chocolate and allow to cool while mixing rest of icing.  Cream butter and shortening. Add vanilla extract then add confectioners sugar. Allow confectioners sugar to blend well then add milk. For thinner consistency, add more than 6 tablespoons of milk.  Add melted chocolate and blend well. 

ame120103 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks everyone! Dr_Hfuhruhurr I will definately be trying yours out maybe tonight, thanks for it.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 11

Sorry it took me so long - here is the recipe (from here). I tasted it after I refrigerated it and it was incredible!! Like soft smooth fudge - soooo yummy!

Crusting Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Icing

Rating: 9.7/10 (40 votes cast)

The key to this chocolately fudge icing is using Hersheys Cocoa. It is a very rich icing that crusts over very nicely. Make sure you sift the cocoa or you will have little clumps of cocoa throughout your smooth icing. Learned this from personal experience. Enjoy!
Crusting Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Icing
Ingredients

1 cup salted sweet cream butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 cup Crisco All Vegetable Shortening
3 t. Pure Vanilla extract
2 lbs. (8 cups) sifted powdered sugar, divided
1 cup sifted Hersheys Cocoa
1 T. Meringue Powder
8-9 T. heavy whipping cream, divided

Instructions

Cream butter and shortening, add vanilla, cream until smooth. Sift together powdered sugar and Hershey’s Cocoa. Add Meringue Powder. Add 1/3 of the powdered sugar mixture, beating well on medium speed until blended (keep bowl covered with damp towel while beating to keep powdered sugar in bowl). Add 1/3 of the heavy whipping cream, mixing until blended. Add 1/3 more of the powdered sugar mixture, beating well on medium speed until blended. Add 1/3 more of the heavy whipping cream, mixing until blended. Add remaining powdered sugar mixture and remaining heavy whipping cream. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.

Cover with damp cloth until ready to use. Keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Can be refrigerated for 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
When icing a cake, allow to crust over for at least 15 minutes.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 11

I just use Indydebi's recipe and throw in a few squares of Baker's Chocolate. It's soooooo good!! I pretty much use this as a base for all of my frostings, and just add in whatever flavors I want. Yummy! Good luck =)

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 11

I guess I should clarify that I melt the chocolate down first, and then mix it in. And you can use however many squares you want, sometimes I use 2, 3, 4.... just depends how much you like.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 11

Have you tried the special dark cocoa powder?

I don't really care for the regular cocoa powder either, but I love buttercream made with the special dark cocoa.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%