Cake Pop ???'s

Baking By carleen2140 Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 12:58am by Serena4016

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 10

I never ate a cake pop, but decided to go ahead and make some for a family picnic dessert table. I made 4 different cakes, crumbled them, bagged them and put into the refrigerator until I had time to add the frosting and roll them. I just made my first batch, rolled them and they are now resting in the frig. My question is "are they suppose to be like a wet raw cookie dough or drier?

Did I do wrong by refrigerating the cake crumbs. Can I place the other 3 bags of cake crumbs on a cookie sheet and place in low oven to see if they will dry. I think maybe too much moisture in plastic bags made the crumbs wet. I'm afraid when I frost these the wetness of the cake wll be locked in. OR is that how the balls are? Thanks for any info.

9 replies
mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 10

When you rolled them did they stick to your hands? If they did you are going to have issues with dipping them.
The dough should be like a biscuit dough.
Maybe if you leave them out on a cookie sheet for an hours they may 'firm' up a bit.

mommachris

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 10

Yes they did. I just tried to dip one and they're so heavy the stick went right thru them and it crumbled in the dip. I'm going to add more cake to it and see if that helps. First I will let them dry on a cookie sheet. Thanks for answering.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 10

Carleen, you may just have discovered that cake pops themselves just aren't that good...I know I did. I made batch after batch with no sense that they were any good. then I tasted cake pops by a very well known bakery with very popular cake pops....I found out it was just not to my liking.

I've finally went over to baby cakes (they are small round cakes. I inject each one with a small amount of frosting then dipped them in either ganache or coating candy. At least they don't resemble pre-digested cake balls.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 10

How muct frosting did you add? It only takes about a tablespoon.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 12:05am
post #6 of 10

I don't use frosting. For chocolate, I use some Hershey's syrup - just enough for the cake to stick together. For other flavors, I use a little flavored coffee creamers. My chocolate cake balls are so popular at work, people beg me to make them more often.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 12:06am
post #7 of 10

I learned that lesson also. Use the bare minimum binder. i also mix mine by hand with a fork, just tossing it all around. I think the mixer over mixes/makes everything too homogeneous.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 12:08am
post #8 of 10

I don't like them either. But if I do make them I roll them then put in the oven for 10-20 min @250.
Freeze then dip.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 12:11am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I learned that lesson also. Use the bare minimum binder. i also mix mine by hand with a fork, just tossing it all around. I think the mixer over mixes/makes everything too homogeneous.

I should have known that Leah would have the solution...I'll try her method because she never fails (seriously, she's my go to person to solve all cake related problems and challenges...and she's always so generous with her help...she's like a cake angel)

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 12:58am
post #10 of 10

I have made a ton of cake balls. Crumble the already baked and cooled cake (I have found scratch cakes work better than box cakes) until it is all fine crumbs. As Leah said...add just enough frosting and mix with a fork so that the frosting is evenly disbursed and the cake crumbs just stick together. Roll and freeze. I put the stick in while they are frozen. I have tried transferring them to the fridge but then they seem to fall off the sticks when they start to soften. Dip the stick about 1/2" into melted chocolate or candy melts, insert into cake ball and dip into melted chocolate or candy melts. Let excess chocolate drip off and there you go!!! I've experimented alot and this works best for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%