Rice Krispie Head Falling Apart And Covered W/fondant

Decorating By mandy5008 Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 4:27am by De65

mandy5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy5008 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 8

I made a giraffe cake, covered it with marshmallow fondant. The head is rice krispie treats and now that the fondant is on it, it has started to crack/seperate and fall apart...I have to make it till Sunday...would it help to refrigerate the cake or the head if I can get it back off the cake? It is sitting on a cardboard round. HELP PLEASE!!!! Ugh...

7 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 8

Did you support the head of the giraffe with a wooden dowel?

For the vacuum cake, I shaped the bag of the vacuum with rkt around a wooden dowel before I covered the rkt with fondant. I sharpened the dowel, and hammered it into place after it was covered with fondant.
The wooden dowel runs through the bag and up to the handle supporting the whole thing.
Vacuum Cake
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2032083

the trash can of the "Oscar The Grouch" cake is cake covered with fondant. Oscar's head is rkt. After I finished the trash can, icing with buttercream and covering with fondant, I hammered a wooden down through the center of the cake to support Oscar's head. I think took the Oscar shaped RKT, and pressed it down onto the wooden towel to support the head. I then proceeded to finished Oscar by covering him with buttercream fur.
Oscar the Grouch
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2032083

Also: adding melted white chocolate to rkt can help firm them up.

You have enough time between now and Sunday that you might want to think about fixing or re-doing your cake.
Anything worth doing, is worth doing well.

I hope this helps. Let me know If I can be of any further assistance.

tokazodo

mandy5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy5008 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 8

I put a dowel through it the first time I tried it...it cracked around the dowel and split in two..I am now on head #2. I tried it without the dowel this time and it just fell apart or melted apart just minutes ago. I just put it in the freezer for the time being...don't know what else to do. I am a novice mommy just trying to make a cake for my one year olds party on Sunday so it does not have to be perfect by any means...

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 8

Having a cold or chilled cake can help. It will firm up the cake.
There are so many unknowns at this point, I don't know how to guide you.

Sometimes it helps to simplify the design for our nerves sake and then try more complicated designs later.

I know your family will love your cake for all the love and effort you are putting towards it.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 8

I would try again and mix in some melted chocolate with the RKT. Make sure to to put a sharp dowel in it to make a hole before it sets. Remove the dowel and decorate the head. Glue the dowel into the head with more chocolate.

If possible, stick the sharp end of the dowel all way through the cake and into the cake board.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 8

I cover the shapes that I make from RKT with melted white chocolate. That holds it together.

chanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanda Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 8

I just made a Michael Jackson cake like this. I experimented with the rkt because it is hot and humid here! When I mixed modeling chocolate with them it was fine in the house but melted miserably the minute I took it outside. So I used plain rkt. I blended the rice krispies in my food processor and I only used a little bit of butterand the usual amount of marshmallows. i shaped the head around a dowel and it was too soft. Then I put it in the fridge and it hardened nicely!!!!! I covered it with wet fondant to smoothed it out and hold things together. I just dipped chunks of fondant in water and rubbed it on. Then I covered it with a sheet of fondant!! It held up for at least a week (the girl did not want to cut it) and it was outside in hot and humid weather!! I used Massa ticino fondant. My husband made me a very sturdy cake base. It was a wooden base with a 3/4in thick dowel in the center. then a small wooden disc attached to the top of the dowel. I put a styrofoam neck and I drilled holes in the disk that the neck sat on to attach the dowels from the rkt head! I hope this helps and good luck!!

De65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
De65 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:27am
post #8 of 8

I made a rice krispies brain today and I froze it with the fondant and the butter cream brain matter... looks kind of creepy in there. I always freeze my ricekrispies spheres.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%