Newbie Needs Help!

Decorating By peaceokake Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 3:18pm by warchild

peaceokake Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I am new to cake central but I love to bake. I'm just recenty starting to think of it as more than a hobby. Well anyway, my sister's bachelorette party is coming up and I wanted to make her a 3d shopping bag cake (standing up). However, I'm stumped on how to lay the fondant. I want there to be tissue paper (effect) and handles on each side but, I'm not sure how to get the fondant on the cake and still have these effects. Can anyone help? Is there a tutorial for this? Thanks for help in advance. icon_confused.gif

4 replies
pastrygirls Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 5

i'd do the fondant in panels on the cake. measure your cake, and cut the fondant so it'll fit perfect on the cake. you can either let them dry so they're easier to put on the cake, or measure and put them on right away. that way you can still put on the handles and have the tissue paper.

peaceokake Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the advice. Will I be able to still put the handles up even if it's dry? Also, do you use pure fondant or a 50/50 mix to get the panels to dry enough to put them on the cake with ease? Can u tell it's my first time making this bag? I know it will probably be easier than I making it out to be. I just want it to be nice. I'm going to do a practice run first. icon_biggrin.gif

pastrygirls Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 5

if you make the handles with sticks or dowels at the ends, you should be able to just stick them in. if you're worried about it, then poke a couple small holes in the panels where the handle will go (make a paper template so you know where you want the handles) if you use all fondant and let the panels dry overnight, then they should be hard enough to put on the cake, but soft enough to poke the handles through. good luck with the trial run! icon_smile.gif

warchild Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 5

This should help.

http://modern-baking.com/cake_decorating/cheers-shopping-0309/

If you click on the pink bag it will link you to photos of how the shopping bag panels were attached.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%