Tutorial On Two Tone Gumpaste Roses Anyone?

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 5:57am by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 16

was suggested to two tone my roses and leaves but don't know how. Looking for advice or tutorial please.
thanks, wendy

15 replies
mbyrne Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 16

You could always make them with one color and use some color dust/pearl dust to accent the edges. I love pearl dust because it is a light sheen, but color dust would really stand out.

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 16

thank you icon_smile.gif

pusskin Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 7:18am
post #4 of 16

It is possible to roll out gumpaste so each side is a different colour. Generally I do it with green and White for calyxes. Roll each colour to the thickness you would normally use, keeping the first under wrap so it doesn't skin, then lay one colour atop the other maybe with a hint of shortening to aid sticking and roll to the depth/ thickness you want then carry on as normal. The other options are to add a little bit of White paste to your ball after each set of petals so that the colour fades out, or to use dusts to parti-colour the petals. I am sure there are other ways to do this as well.

Yours aye
Puss

JenniferMI Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:38am
post #5 of 16

Just use two color of dusts.... it works great.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

funtodecorate2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 16

thanks for all the help. I used hunter green dust with gold shimmer. I guess that's what it was. It is shiny and sparkly anyway. 3 different size brushes and started in. Someone mentioned steaming them. With the little bit of color I have is it nessesary to do that and will the green rub off on my white buttercream?

JenniferMI Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 16

Steaming sets the dusts and blends them, so I would steam.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pusskin

It is possible to roll out gumpaste so each side is a different colour. Generally I do it with green and White for calyxes. Roll each colour to the thickness you would normally use, keeping the first under wrap so it doesn't skin, then lay one colour atop the other maybe with a hint of shortening to aid sticking and roll to the depth/ thickness you want then carry on as normal.

Yours aye
Puss

What an abso-bloody-lutely marvelloous idea. Thank you!

tonedna Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtodecorate2

thanks for all the help. I used hunter green dust with gold shimmer. I guess that's what it was. It is shiny and sparkly anyway. 3 different size brushes and started in. Someone mentioned steaming them. With the little bit of color I have is it nessesary to do that and will the green rub off on my white buttercream?

Steaming is always good. Sets the color and makes it blend better. Just make sure not to touch the gumpaste and let it dry well before attaching to the cake or it will mess the color.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Narie Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 16

I have seen Pusskin's method used to create two toned drapes, very impressive.

Also with her system you could create roses like this. http://www.flowermuse.com/featured-flowers/cherry-brandy-orange-bi-color-roses.html

There are several types of roses and other flowers like this in a variety of shades.

tonedna Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

I have seen Pusskin's method used to create two toned drapes, very impressive.

Also with her system you could create roses like this. http://www.flowermuse.com/featured-flowers/cherry-brandy-orange-bi-color-roses.html

There are several types of roses and other flowers like this in a variety of shades.

I use that method in my Rose DVD..It works like a charm for anything you want to create 2 tone. The thinner you roll the gumpaste the more you blend the colors together making it even more realistic.
Edna icon_smile.gif

funtodecorate2 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 16

ok I've made four roses and await your comments on the looks of my roses and the colors I've been playing with.
rose 1- white with hunter green and gold dust
rose 2, white and green mixed together
rose 3 mainly white with little green
rose 4 all hunter green
remember her wedding colors are white, black, hunter green

i'm still pretty new at this so appreciate all your help and suggestions. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. icon_smile.gif
thanks, Wendy

funtodecorate2 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:09am
post #13 of 16

cant seem to get the pics to attach. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Will put the pics in my photos

southerncross Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:45am
post #14 of 16

I love rose #3. although all are very beautiful, I've found the more delicate coloured roses seem to look best on wedding cakes. I recently had a bride ask for deep red roses between the tiers of her cake. I made a few deep red ones and then some with varied two toned red and white (I "painted" them with red petal dust) and she changed her mind and went with the two toned. They definitely looked airier on the cake and more "bridal". Regardless, all your roses look lovely

ladij153 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:10am
post #15 of 16

I like the second one from the left that looks marbled....all are very pretty but I like that one the best!

funtodecorate2 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 5:57am
post #16 of 16

thank you both for taking the time to respond. Being that I'm not experienced in this I appreciate the comments. Although both of you like two different roses! LOL Now what do I do? LOL
does it really just boil down to what is your own taste and what you see looks the best?
I guess my main thing here is also that you think my flowers look like roses.
I look at everyone elses and I know mine don't look nearly as pretty as most but after staring at these little guys everything starts to look the same icon_eek.gif
thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%