What Color Should I Use.

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm by Annabakescakes

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making white and hunter green gumpaste roses. What color leaves should I make? I wouldn't think the same color of hunter green roses would look too good. Little lighter shade?
Also , it's fresh berry season and I would like to make TODAY and freeze raspberry and strawberry filling or glaze for July 16 bridal shower. Has anyone frozen filling like this and not have any problems? . It doesn't have to be thick because it will be spooned and used for cheesecakes.
Thanks for any advice
Wendy

7 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 8

Hunter green roses? I am not sure that is going to look that great, exactly because of the stems! What color do you use?

I think lighter hunter would look weird, maybe just a normal stem green, with some hunter in it.

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 8

Color is such a difficult thing. Home decorators will tell you that the color directly across from that color on the color wheel will work and that also the colors to the right and the left of that color on the color wheel will work. The color I am imagining as hunter green I think would work well with a soft lime green, but then that is just what I see in my head and may not complement your actual color at all. Hope this gives you something to work with. icon_smile.gif

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 8

well I use kelly green and black like a color chart suggested. I came out with more of a mossy or camo type. I added some royal blue on just a little piece and it actually looked better. This is for my daughter Aug 27 wedding. I'm new at this . I've made several cakes but been dissappointed and want to get better. so i'm practicing up a storm and getting all the advice I can from this great site. Her colors are white, black and hunter green. I have green shiny green ribbon with gold trim to go around the cakes. So I've made up white roses ,and a couple hunter green. Maybe I should just use the gumpaste to make the hunter green stems and leaves and forget the hunter green roses. I wanted the white roses to not blend in so much with the white buttercream, but maybe using the hunter green for leaves with bring out the roses. ???

Have any suggestions on the fillings or glaze question.
thanks for the help
Wendy

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 8

I would make white roses with the outer edges of the petals in fading into deep hunter green and then make the leaves in a lighter shade of yellowish dark green with the outer edges of the leaves fading into the same deep hunter green. That way you kind of mirror what natural leaves look like, they aren't just one color.

No clue about the filling, I don't care for frozen fruit and would probably make some kind of preserves if I wanted to save it for that long.

funtodecorate2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 8

OMG. sounds very pretty , but not sure how to do that with the 2 colors blending?

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 8

I suppose you could use some color dust on white roses too. It would give them a little hint of that green. If you used a small brush, you could just paint it where you wanted it and then steam it to set the color so it doesn't mess up the white buttercream on the cake.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtodecorate2

.............................. I've made up white roses ,and a couple hunter green. Maybe I should just use the gumpaste to make the hunter green stems and leaves and forget the hunter green roses. I wanted the white roses to not blend in so much with the white buttercream, but maybe using the hunter green for leaves with bring out the roses. ???

Have any suggestions on the fillings or glaze question.
thanks for the help
Wendy

I would stick to the white roses with Hunter green stems and leaves. If you must use hunter on the roses, then maybe use it on the very edges of the peatals and fade it in a little, or in the ceter, fading outward a little, but I don't think it is neccesary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%