Beginner Needs Help- 911!

Decorating By theCword Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm by theCword

theCword Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all. First off this is my first post and so far I love it here. I'm brand new and have only baked for my home and for get togethers.
My hub's b-day party is this Sunday. We rented a party boat for 4 hours. It will be a hot day here in Texas! I didn't really take this into consideration when I volunteered for the job.

The plan is to make a double layered 9 inch cake along with 2 dozen cupcakes.

I will be keeping it simple. I'm making a homemade white cake that I will dye using wilton gel colors to get the cakes different colors.

As for frosting, this is where I'm completely overwhelmed and about to have a panick attack! icon_eek.gif
My concerns are the heat first of all, not to mention the humidity. There is a fridge on the boat (small one) and we will have coolers w/ ice if needed.

I wanted to make this buttercream recipe:

THE BEST BUTTERCREAM

2 cups shortening
8 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon clear imitation vanilla extract
6 fluid ounces heavy cream

In a large bowl, cream shortening with mixer until fluffy. Add confectioners sugar (2 cups at a time) until well blended. If the frosting gets to thick at any time you can add some of your heavy cream.
Add salt, vanilla, and heavy cream and blend until combined, then blend on high until frosting is light and fluffy. If you need to add additional cream you can. (up to 2 tablespoons)

I bought everything last night. But now I'm completely scared that I'll have a melted mess not to mention the heavy cream is perishable. What would you do? I will not make fondant because I've never even touched the stuff. I plan to start practicing it though! icon_smile.gif

Any advice? I thought of adding meringue powder too since I've read here and there that it might benefit a cake that will be in the heat. Please help me and tell me what I can do. Thanks!

7 replies
airedalian Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 8

I have no advice on what to make/use/etc. However, should something go awry, all you have to do is say, "Gosh, I was trying this new recipe. I'll never use that one again!"

Tried and true in my house ... always use new recipes when people come over, because if it fails it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the recipe... lol

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 8

There is no butter in the "buttercream" recipe, so it should be just fine. Maybe a little soft but it really shouldn't slide or melt, shortening has a MUCH higher melting point (117 degrees) than butter (90 degrees), which would slide right off. http://www.ochef.com/1157.htm

LisaStephens Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 8

I have a slight variation using:
1 stick butter-at room temp
1 1/2 cups crisco
1 tbsp clear vanilla
2 lbs conf sugar-sifted
1/3 c. water

cream together butter, crisco and vanilla, sift conf sugar into mixture, begin beating at med speed (no higher) and then put in water until desired consistency. DO NOT OVER MIX! This is the buttercream that I use ALL the time. It is a crusting buttercream too! Wish you luck!

CAC74 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 8

You could try Indydebi's recipe. It's awesome and stands up well to heat, and has no heavy cream in it. You can just search Indydebi Buttercream on this site to find it.

theCword Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for replies.

What about the heavy cream in the icing being out in the heat?

And also, whats the purpose of imitation clear vanilla??? I plan to dye the buttercream green. Can I just use my regular real vanilla?

Thanks!

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

There is no butter in the "buttercream" recipe, so it should be just fine. Maybe a little soft but it really shouldn't slide or melt, shortening has a MUCH higher melting point (117 degrees) than butter (90 degrees), which would slide right off. http://www.ochef.com/1157.htm

Anna, I will say in my part of Texas the temp is suppose to be 103 Sunday and that doesn't take in to account the heat index (it is 99 right now with a feels like 103).

I'd say if there is a part of the boat that is cool and covered I would keep the cake there. I'd probably consider the fridge, but then you will have to deal with condensation issues. I also wouldn't wait until the party is almost over to cut the cake. I would do it early on, that way you are sitting there for 3 hours looking at the cake and wondering if it is going to melt.

The cream in the cake will be fine, the sugar in the icing preserves it.

You use clear vanilla so you would have a pure white icing. If you aren't worried about that you can use your regular vanilla. It will be ivory in color before you added your coloring.

theCword Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you thank you!

I forgot to mention, the boat is 2 stories. The bottom floor has a mini kitchen and is completely covered. This is where I plan to keep cakes. I will also not wait until the end. Plus I don't think the kids will want to wait when there are cupcakes in their face!

I checked out the other recipe. Sounds yummy as well!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%