How Many People Have Two Stand Mixers?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 4 Dec 2014 , 7:49pm by TrudyF

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:35pm
post #31 of 46

I have all the accessories except for the pasta maker, which I will be purchasing in order to use with gumpaste, and the grain grinder. We rarely, rarely ever use the KA accessories because I have several food processors that do the job just as well. It is kind of fun using the meat grinder, though, to make our own sausage and ground meats and such.

The KA's are really easy to clean. I just use a paper towel with a little dishsoap to wipe them down followed by another damp one without soap. The bowls fit in the dishwasher.

I have all of my food processors and KA's on a stainless steel 3-shelf trolley cart that I bought at Sam's, since I don't like my countertops cluttered up with stuff.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 6:24pm
post #32 of 46

I've got 3 stand mixers. One is an old Hamilton Beach Scovill that comes apart to make a hand mixer that weighs in at about 10-15 lbs! Second, an Oster Kitchen Center with every attachment they ever made - and, yes, I love to grind all my own meats, etc. And third, my beautiful, brand new Black Beauty - KA! Technically, I have another one, but somehow it is now residing with our oldest daughter and her family! I also have 3 (OK - 4 w/ the HBS that comes apart) hand mixers with my fav being the KA. I'll have to count bowls later because I don't really know how many I have. I don't have any of the attachments for my KA yet, but I don't know if I really need them as long as my Oster still works. I really like my new KA, but my Oster and I have this real connection - you know what I mean? I really need and want to build on another kitchen designed to my every whim and want! My wonderful hubby just rolls his eyes and smiles. I think I'll keep him too!!!!!

gogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gogo Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 7:55pm
post #33 of 46

Yes I do Have 2 Both Kitchen Aid Stand mixers & a Hand one too
Some times you need to hurry and not wait to wash the one you are using then
gogo

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 8:09pm
post #34 of 46

While I was looking for accessories for my mixer, I found a video showing how it works! Probably made in Sweden, like the mixer is, so it's cheesy music with it, but it was cool seeing it in action! It's pretty long, but it shows the big bowl and the small whisk bowl in action.

Interestingly, in the directions, it says it's best to use the roller and scraper for cake mix, but in the demo, it's doing the cake mix in the small bowl!!! So, maybe I already have my "small" mixer and since they use completely separate everything, I should do that isntead of investing in more STUFF... Of course, now I'm interested in the accessories for this mixer too!

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/electroluxvideo.html

Melissa

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 10:51pm
post #35 of 46

Yeah, i have three, and suddenly, the bonus feeling that i'm not alone in the world... LOL.... DH thought I was insane when I saw one on sale and combined with a employee discount, was a steal.... so now, one 6 qt KA and a ?? Sunbeam? I live having two beaters for icing, and KA just doesn't make it right for me. AND, from teaching Wilton classes, I have a stand mixer with only a small bowl that comes apart nicely for storage. It's also handly for mixing up colors.... Now all I need is a kitchen big enough to hold them all... one's in the pantry, one's under the sink, and one's in the basement...

yepps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yepps Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 8:09pm
post #36 of 46

I have 4 KA mixers 1 -4quart, 2-5 quart and 1-6 quart . I love the 6 quart with a smaller extra bowl. I haven't  used the others since I bought the 6 quart. I also have an old Sunbeam stand mixer and a KA hand mixer.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 8:55pm
post #37 of 46

I have 3, but all but one was given to me.  I think having a bigger one and a smaller one can be useful, but, honestly, the difference in a 4,5, and 6 qt bowl isn't all that much.  I use my big one almost exclusively.  When I was still working from home, I would love to have had a 12 qt to make icing.  I have a 20 qt at the bakery now so my poor home KA's don't get loved as much as they used to... LOL.  I would think extra bowls would get you by better than another mixer.  It makes it seem like you have more mixers for much less money.  We have 3 commercial KA's at the bakery and one 20 qt Hobart (which I love to pieces).  For each KA we have 3 bowls and the 20 qt we have 2 bowls.  It helps a ton to have the extra bowls and paddles and whisks. 

For home you should be able to get by with what you have plus a couple extra bowls, paddles, and whisks if you use them.  I make meringue based frosting so I need the whisks, but for a more traditional powdered sugar based frosting you would be fine with just extra paddles. 

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 12:30am
post #38 of 46

Yeef! I just have a handheld model, but with an extra pair of beaters, and an extra rubber spatula in case I'm baking two cakes, or baking my strawberry marble cake.

And plenty of ordinary dinner forks to mix frosting, cookie dough, and so forth.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 12:38am
post #39 of 46

I have 2...my newer KA Artisan and my old (wedding gift almost 30 years ago old) Sunbeam Mixmaster. The Sunbeam doesn't get used very often anymore but I do use enough that I'd miss it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 2:07pm
post #40 of 46

3 KAs (two purchased on super sale) and my mother's 40+ yr old one that's still going strong.  Plus a 20qt Hobart.  I can fill my sink with used bowls . . .

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 6:14pm
post #41 of 46

I have my grandma's KA mixer and a larger one.  Both have two bowls (and I often wish for more!).  Grandma was a professional cake decorator and had a fleet of four or five KA mixers, so when she died, all of the grandkids got one.  She'd replace her KA every few years, but always kept the older ones as a backup.  Mine (named Berta, after her) is probably from the 60s.  Still works perfectly!  

But my mother bought me a larger, new KA two Christmases ago so that I'd have a backup.  Berta lives in the garage these days, ready to come out of retirement if my current KA ever has issues.  And it's showing signs that that will probably happen this year when I try to mix up my gingerbread house dough (a stiff, tough dough).  It overheated and pooped out on me already recently kneading pretzel dough.  

Having two KA mixers is a luxury, but having extra bowls and beaters is a must!  It makes everything so much more streamlined and easy!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 10:32pm
post #42 of 46

I have a 4.5 and a 5 quart and they are both going all the time..Especially when making 2-3 batches of icing....Couldn't do without either...Even thinking of getting another one.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 1:41am
post #43 of 46

3 mixers here.  Bought my first KA (a black Professional HD 5 qt) about six years ago.  After 2 years it chewed up its own gears.  While it was in the repair shop I bought a black 5 qt Cuisinart.  I've been using both of them though I much prefer the KA because the Cuisinart just doesn't sound as robust (it sounds whiny to me especially when I ask it to mix bread dough or fondant), but this summer the KA started making odd noises again.  In a preemtive move I bought a red KA professional 5 plus when they were on sale for half price (I also loved the color).  I'm using all three though I plan to take the old KA in for servicing after the holidays.  After that I'll either keep it for lighter work, or give it to my grand daughter.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 1:54am
post #44 of 46

Boy, now I don't feel so bad.  I have 3 mixers  -  4.5 qt & 6 qt pro KA plus a 10 qt Anvil (now Vollrath) -- I couldn't live without any of them!  I can't tell you how many people make the comment  "so do you think you have enough mixers"   --- I don't dare tell them that I also have a 7 qt Delonghi tucked away in the storeroom of my basement (replaced it with the KA 6 qt).

Ahhh, the life of a baker!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 4:49pm
post #45 of 46

nhbaker... Did you not like the Delonghi?  I was looking at them before and loved the bowl size but I have no experience with them.  How was it when you were using it?

TrudyF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrudyF Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 7:49pm
post #46 of 46

Hello,

I have read the the brand new KA's are to be built (or are being built) with direct drive motors.  I don't know how that will affect the gears if they are not metal, but should make the machine have a longer life and be quieter. 

I have my older one (like 15 yrs old) that still works like a charm but has the smaller bowl.  I like it because I can whip much less cream and egg whites than with that new larger wider bottom bowl.

I use both when I make BC.

One of my first Professional machines that was not bakery size had the bottom of the beater area drop/fall after only 1 week after guarantee   expired and had not been used very much at all.  KitchenAid gave be a bunch of baloney and refused to replace it but offered to repair it for almost as much as a new one cost if you add in the shipping both ways.  My brother fixed it as best he could and we use it only as a last resort and seldom as possible to extend what life it has.  In good conscience I can't consider selling it to anyone.

I am trying to find a reliable strong mixer with similar features .. . . . I have NOT heard good things about the Cuisinart machine from people I know that purchased so am still looking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%