Would You / Did You Make Your Own...

Decorating By Cakeuhlicious Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 10:39pm by Dayti

Cakeuhlicious Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 10

Wedding cake??? I've seen a couple wedding cake threads this morning and most are based around the price of a wedding cake being several hundred, sometimes thousands of dollars depending on the size/intricacy of the cake.

So, have any of you actually taken on the additional stress of making your own wedding cake, perhaps to save some funds or guarantee the quality?

If you haven't been married, would you consider making your own cake?

9 replies
tiggy2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 10

If you do a search on this site you'll find many threads discussing this topic.

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 10

I've been married for 28 years and plan on staying that way so my own wedding cake is a moot point icon_biggrin.gif, however I did make my daughter's. It really didn't add all that much stress (although I was a newbie and didn't know what COULD have gone wrong icon_smile.gif). I kept it relatively simple; I made flowers well in advance, for her Friday evening wedding I baked on Wednesday, filled and crumbcoated early Thursday morning, covered in fondant, prepped for stacking, and applied ribbons early on Friday morning. I stacked, applied the border and flowers on site. Oh, and I catered the dinner for 75 guests, too, crazy, right? Yes, I would do it again, and yes, if for some reason I were getting married again, I think I would do my own.

My daughter's cake is here http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1547809

icon_smile.gif

Cakeuhlicious Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I've been married for 28 years and plan on staying that way so my own wedding cake is a moot point icon_biggrin.gif, however I did make my daughter's. It really didn't add all that much stress (although I was a newbie and didn't know what COULD have gone wrong icon_smile.gif). I kept it relatively simple; I made flowers well in advance, for her Friday evening wedding I baked on Wednesday, filled and crumbcoated early Thursday morning, covered in fondant, prepped for stacking, and applied ribbons early on Friday morning. I stacked, applied the border and flowers on site. Oh, and I catered the dinner for 75 guests, too, crazy, right? Yes, I would do it again, and yes, if for some reason I were getting married again, I think I would do my own.

My daughter's cake is here http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1547809

icon_smile.gif

That's awesome, I love the flowers. I cant image baking AND catering an event, just little 'ol me. Even with some friend/family help. LOL Go you!!! Ya never know, 30 years seems like a good time for a vow renewal and another shindig thumbs_up.gif

Cakeuhlicious Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

If you do a search on this site you'll find many threads discussing this topic.

That's nice. I'll have to check them out, but I prefer conversing in real time.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 10

If I did my own it would have to be a simple, small cake.

I did my brother's and was totally stressed out before the wedding. I wasn't in the wedding party, so I couldn't imagine trying to do the cake and all the rest of the stuff.

leafO Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 10

There are so many demands on a brides time in the days just before the wedding, There's always last minute fittings and such. It could be do-able but I would make sure to delegate out as much as possible of the other stuff to other family members to help with the time and alleviate stress. Keeping the design simple helps too.

I baked the cake for my sister's wedding last year and was also in the wedding party. It was just my second tiered cake.

It was one of those murphy's law cakes, everything that could go wrong did!

The fondant I bought just would not cooperate!(I found out later it was a bad batch from when satin ice changed their machinery) so I spent all night fighting with it before giving up and frosting it in buttercream instead. There wasn't room in the fridge for the cakes so I left the cakes out on the counter and cranked up the AC in the house while we went to the ceremony. When I got back the kids at the house had opened all the doors and windows and turned the AC off and the buttercream was all melted. So I scrape off the icing, and rush them to the reception hall where it was air conditioned and not 90+ degrees and re-ice, just in time for the reception to start. So it didn't turn out quite like I'd planned and was really stressful but came out fine in the end and my sister loved it.

I'm glad I was prepared and had a backup plan. Super glad I made lots of extra Buttercream! Here's how it turned out:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1776051

Cakeuhlicious Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 10

Wow, with all the difficulties you had in getting it made it looks very well executed! icon_smile.gif

I think that I would totally do my own cake, but I agree...I'd be delegating like crazy. But, it would be a fun experience. I kind of feel like weddings are really FOR family and friends as much as for yourself (I'm not religious and I always sort of figure you already know you want to spend your life with your SO...in a lot of cases, you already are icon_smile.gif), so making something by hand to serve to them is a nice, personal touch. I would be pretty simple and probably do something floral that I could make in advance and assemble fairly quickly.

augurey Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 10

If I were more experienced and had the confidence that I would be able to do it without much stress/mess and issues, then I would. I mean, I would love to, but I honestly don't think I could. I think I'd be too stressed, and just with how I am with cakes now, I just don't see it being a good combination.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, thinks that I could, but... yeah I don't think I'll be making mine as much as I would like to.

Dayti Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 10

I made my own wedding cakes. I say "cakes" because I made a 4 tier dummy and finished it a week before the wedding, then baked the kitchen cakes a couple of days before the wedding. I really wanted to do my own, but the stress of having to produce a perfect cake and finishing it the day before would have been too much!!
I also made cupcake favours for the guests which served as place names too. In little boxes with their names on, and I made the labels for those too. Oh and I did the save the dates, invites, table plan and table numbers. You only get married once and I really wanted to get involved!
It was fun and very do-able, as long as you plan it properly (I didn't and ended up working til 2am the day of the wedding icon_biggrin.gif ) There were only 60 guests though, I'm not completely mad...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%