Anyone Use Their Cricuit Cake For Scrapbooking Also?

Lounge By VS8894 Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 8:45am by Curtsmin24

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 12

I was wondering if you can use it for scrapbooking also? I have hardly used it for cakes (can't get the fondant to work) and Michael's quit carrying any of the accessories. I would like to get my monies worth and the cake thing is not getting it, but I wondered if you could go back to it and use it for cakes later.

11 replies
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 12

I would love to know the answer to that! I also have a terribly under used Cricut Cake. I've gotten way more use out of the mats as a work surface than I have out of the cricut icon_smile.gif

VS8894 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 12

Oooh, I may have to try that! (the mats). icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 12

Yes you can as long as you don't use glitter papers. The only thing that touches food is the blade and the mat so nothing will be contaminated by cutting paper. Glitter on the other hand can come off of the paper and fly every where so it could eventually land on your food products. Frosting sheets actually cut very well with the cricut. Try adding tylose to your fondant and letting it dry a bit (after rolling very thin) before trying to cut and you will have much better luck. Also check out Linda McClure's youtube videos for step by step inctructions. If you follow them to the "T" you will love using your electronic cutter for cakes.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 12

I do! I have a set of mats and blades for the expression. I keep it separate because the mat has that sticky stuff. I use a very small amount of tylose to my fondant as well. (if using mmf) If I use satin ice I just let it sit for a couple minutes. I haven't had any problems.

bakerliz Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 12

I've been trying gumpaste, and MMF. I've tried putting the gumpaste in the freezer for a few minutes and had mediocre results. I'm going to look up those tutorials, mix in some tylose, and try again. Maybe I'll make myself a birthday cake covered in cricut cut outs! icon_smile.gif

VS8894 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:29am
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the replies! I'm feeling better about getting more use out of it. I will try the Tylose next time I use it!

Has anyone tried the Wilton sheets they have now for their cutters? I was wondering if those would work, since I can't get the Cricuit ones anymore from Michaels.

bakerliz Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 12

I want to go ahead and use my Cricut Cake with scrapbooking paper, does anyone know if the blades are interchangeable? Is the Cricut Cake blade comparable to the deep cut blade or the regular? I want to find out what I can before I start spending anymore money icon_smile.gif TIA

tiggy2 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 12

The blade for the regular cricut will fit the cricut cake but I wouldn't use the same blade for cake and paper. The cake blades will not fit the regular cricut.

bakerliz Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:49pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for all the advice! Looking forward to trying it out icon_smile.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:45am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

The blade for the regular cricut will fit the cricut cake but I wouldn't use the same blade for cake and paper. The cake blades will not fit the regular cricut.

I had a hard time putting the deep cut blades from the expression. (they kept falling out) I ended up ordering 4 sets of the cake blades from joanns (on sale w/ coupon) and used permanent marker to distinguish the ones I use for paper from the others. If I would have known that I would have just ordered the regular size, thanks for the info. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%